Comments on Cairo Marriott (old palace)?

Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
mrublee

Comments on Cairo Marriott (old palace)?

We're headed to Cairo next week and will be staying in the Cairo Marriott - the one on the island in the Nile, the former palace. Does anyone have any comments about this hotel, good or bad? About the location, the rooms, the restaurants? Are the garden rooms better or worse than tower rooms? We are pretty set on the Marriott b/c it is so affordable ($75/night) compared to others in same range of quality.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Mar 4th, 2004, 05:17 AM

I think there are no rooms in the Palace itself (just the reception area and restaurants). This palace is in fact surrounded by two big (ugly) towers (1960's style) where the rooms are.
You should avoid the tower just next to the bridge with the motorway going to Gizeh.
Mar 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Hi Mrublee - you lucky one. Was at the Marriott five nights in early February and one night upon return from Aswan. Liked the Marriott. The garden area is beautiful. We stayed in a tower room the first five nights and in a garden room the last night. Previous poster is right about the noise from the freeway from one of the towers. The room was, however, convenient. The palace which houses reception, shops, banks, and restaurants is the center building with a tower on each side. The garden rooms form a semicircle from one tower to the other. The garden rooms are not especially close or convenient to anything. We were on third floor in tower which was just about level with the freeway, so we did get some noise. On the other hand, we were on second floor in garden room. There are activities in the garden at night. In particular, there is a large tent called Egyptian Nights. It is a restaurant with entertainment. It, too, can get noisy at night. So, I guess it's six of one, etc. Overall, I think I preferred the tower room. It was cool when we were there, but I've been seeing temperature ranges reported in the high 80's and 90's, so take your suit and enjoy the pool. It looked beautiful. It is also located in the garden area. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Carolyn in Texas
Mar 13th, 2004, 12:36 AM

This might be too late for the poster of the original message. But might interest future travelers.

We just spent last night in the Cairo Marriott (Old Palace). We stayed in the tower away from the bridge and didn't have any noise problems.

The main (palace) part of the hotel is interesting - well appointed, good food, great service. But the exteriors of the towers are being upgraded or something. Our Nile view room on the Executive Floor had cement grit/sand/something all over it and the "view" was more of the construction rubble on the top of the palace complex than of the Nile. Luckily, we had a function to attend and didn't spend much time in the room, but I would have been bummed if I had really planned to sit on the balcony and enjoy view.

We did have drinks on the balcony of the Executive lounge and that had a nice view of city and the activity on the river.

Search this Thread