Comments & Advise on upcoming Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my first time using this site although have always found it useful. Am planning my honeymoon in mid August and have definitely decided on Northern Circuit in Tanzania - since I haven't been before so want to do all the main sights and then Zanzibar.

Have got the following itinerary but just wanted to make sure there were no glaring flaws before i go ahead and book so any comments - tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. Although this is a honeymoon tried to mix rustic with more mid-range western style accommodation to get the best of both worlds.....

Arrive in Kilimanjaro at 8.50am
1 night in Moivaro Lodge B&B

Drive to Tarangire
2 nights at Mawe Ninga Camp All inc.

Drive via Lake Manyara to N'goro Crater Rim
1 night at Sopa Lodge

Crater game drive and on to Olduvai
1 night at Olduva Tented Camp

Flight from to Northern Seregeti
2 nights at Migration Camp

then flight to Zanzibar
3 nights at Kendwa Rock for cheap & chearful Beach hut experience - wanted West coast for sunsets.

4 Nights at Matemwe Beach Village - staying in one of the Suites snorkelling etc

2 Nights in Stone Town at Dhow Palace.

Total Cost US$3600 (16 nights)

Any comments about overall trip, rooms and location of lodges would be helpful. THANKS!

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Congratulations on your honeymoon and getting a room on the crater rim this August!

Your itinerary will work but I would tweak it slightly.

Moivaro is not the best honeymoon hotel. Coffee Lodge, Mountain Village, Rivertrees are better IMO.

Considering that the Oldupai area is very dry and void of wildlife in August, you can ask to overnight somewhere in SerOnera instead. If you want to interact with the Maasai, there is a great boma just north of the Sopa that has great scenery and is far less touristy. You can stop at the Oldupai museum and gorge on your way to Seronera.

The drive from Oldupai to Migration Camp is a long one and the Serengeti Plains will normally be empty. By spending the night in Seronera you split the drive and you get a chance to see the cats and other wildlife that moves to Seronera during the dry season.

Never heard of Kendra Rock but Protea Ruins is very nice and Chumbe Island.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM

daisydreamer,

Seeing that you are already staying at one Elewana camp (Migration Camp), I would also suggest you consider their other properties (Tarangire Tree Tops instead of Mawe Ninga and Arusha Coffee Lodge instead of Moivaro).

I recently visited Tarangire Tree Tops and thought very highly of the lodge, especially the accomodations and the food. While it is an hour away from the entrance to the park, in August, there is supposed to be a lot of wildlife around Tarangire Tree Tops.

I also recently visited Olduvai Camp and while the surrounding area was beautiful, I found the camp to be decrepit, and keep in mind it is the same owners of Olduvai who also own Mawe Ninga. There have been some reports on both Olduvai and Mawe Ninga on this forum that you can look up by doing a search.

Moivaro Coffee Lodge was acceptable for one night, but I wish I had insisted on Arusha Coffee Lodge, instead.

I do think your trip is a bit rushed. I think it would be best to shave a couple nights from Zanzibar to add to your safari, especially at least one more night at Migration Camp.

Also, it is very important to know what kind of vehicle is being provided. I would not settle for a Land Rover 110 but would insist on a Land Cruiser.

Good luck.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM
sandi

Since you arrive early in Arusha, and have a full day in Arusha, consider upgrading to the Arusha Coffee Lodge instead of Moivaro Coffee Lodge.

Though Rocco mentions Treetops which is beautiful (if there is even space) it is also very expensive; something to consider if your budget can handle this.

Oluvai Camp isn't a very good stop in mid-August... no action going on here; and as Rocco mentions, he found the place in poor condition. Definitely agree with Eben that you should add a night in Seronera on your way to Migration Camp. It's a long drive from the Crater without a stop. There is resident game in the Seronera area which you'll like.

If your budget allows, I'd eliminate Oldupai Camp, replace with a night in the Serenora area and an additional night at Migration. You certainly have days to steal from your beach time to do this. Migration Camp is lovely for a honeymoon.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM
bat

daisydreamer:

There is a difference of opinion about Olduvai Camp--I did not find it decrepit. Rocco, I thought that your complaint was that the sheets were not clean--which I agree is inexcusable but does not make a place decrepit--that is a housekeeping matter. I thought the tents were very nice (food OK, not particularly good).

Since there had not been enough rain when we were there in Feb, and it was hot dry and dusty without alot of animals--I suspect that I saw it comparable to August. We still enjoyed the climbing to the kopjes with the masai guide and the view from the tent.

But with that said, Eben and sandi are giving you good avice about positioning yourself on the way to Migration Camp. The seronera valley had alot of cat action.

Eben and sandi--does it make a difference when they are trying to go into the crater? Do they have time for a morning crater drive and still get to the Seronera valley? We game drove in stopping and starting so I do not have a good sense about actual drive time.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Bat

From the Ngorongoro Sopa it is an automatic game drive through the crater to get out (the alternative rim road is horrible).

Since they probably arrived after lunch the previous day from Manyara and Tarangire, the 24-hour NCA fee is not a limiting factor. They can take their time with the morning game drive and make it to Seronera long before 6pm with ease.

The views from the kopje behind Oldupai Camp is good (if you like to watch the vehicles drive by on the main road to the Serengeti), but there are better and unobstructive views from Naabi Hill! In Aug one will see only cattle and vehicle dust trails from Oldupai! See my July pic here - it is very dry:

http://www.go-safari.com/NCA/Oldupaijpg1.jpg

IMO it is an unnecessary and rather unromantic stopover for such a short safari - unless game-viewing is a minor objective.

Nowadays there so many great tented camps near Seronera to choose from where one can at least hear wildlife at night!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM

bat,

Perhaps my understanding of "decrepit" is different. This is my understanding, courtesy of www.dictionary.com

de·crep·it ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-krpt)
adj.
Weakened, worn out, impaired, or broken down by old age, illness, or hard use.

Olduvai Camp is certainly not using new tents...at least one zipper was broken in my tent...my rug or mat in my room was very worn out and needed to be replaced...I don't really want to know what the floor was made of, fearing it may have been the same thing that Masai plaster their homes with, a mixture of cow dung, human dung and other interesting things...seems too good to be true that it was concrete and was not concrete colored.

While I am sure things were harder to keep clean in the rain, my tents at the Nomad camps were much cleaner and were scrubbed down daily...I mean the staff at Nomad really put their heart & soul into their required tasks and it made all the difference.

It wouldn't be fair to compare the tents at Mbuzi Mawe because they are on raised foundations (but I will say they were spotless and did feature modern bathrooms).

So, although one of my issues with Olduvai was, in fact, the bedding, another issue was the cleanliness of the camp. I just know that when I am expecting guests, NON PAYING guests, that my house better sparkle, so you would think when paying guests are arriving, it is not too much to expect the same.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:40 AM
bat

Hi rocco:
Well, as I said we'll just have a difference of opinion about Olduvai.

Interesting, the defition of decrepit you have posted IMO fits Nomad's Loliondo camp more than Olduvai. There were holes in the tent joints and screening that needed mending, a ragged shower curtain long past its replacement point. There was a distinct contrast between the Ndutu camp and the Loliondo camp. But the guiding, staff, food etc was excellent and I would still recommend Nomad and I want to stay at other of their camps. They simply needed to replace those tents rather than use them for longer.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM
bat

eben:
I see what you mean about the Sopa and game driving across the crater to the other road. Re Olduvai camp--Definitely mostly cattle in terms of animal life--I had in mind the views of the mountains.

daisydreamer: I would follow sandi's and eben's advice and shift the Olduvai stop to the Seronera valley if you can.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:04 AM
bat

daisydreamer:
Please give us a report on Kendwa Rocks--the beach is supposed to be much less tidal and much more swimmable that on the east coast--you will be able to contrast the two sides. Plus, supposedly some music available at night. Will you be there during the full moon? I have read about the full moon parties.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much for all your suggestions - I really didn't expect so much info in such a short space of time.

I don't really want to go much over the the initial cost of $3600 and the idea was to save the luxury until the end at Migration Camp.

You all make good points for not staying at Olduvai Camp in August - although I thought I might gain a cultural experience despite the lack of wildlife??! However I think I will consider climbhighsleeplow's suggestion of visiting the boma in Seronera as an alternative and also stay there instead - I thought it would take longer to get there. I booked via ATR so I know they'll try to get me to stick with Olduvai.

Bat, Of course I'll let you know what Kendwa Rocks is like. Its meant to have a lovely beach but I think the beach huts are very 'hut' like - anyway we shall see. Have any of you stayed in the suites at Matamwe I've heard good things about them so this will be are chill out time.

The extra night in Migration is tempting however i thought after rushing around on the safari bit I'd need a few nights staying put on the beach! Will think about it though!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM

Daisydreamer

The true working boma is called Irkeepus and it is just a few miles north of Ngorongoro Sopa (not Seronera). It is in a beautiful area.

The Oldupai area Maasai interactions are mostly tourist traps along one of the busiest safari "highways" in East Africa. Car after car pull up, pay $50 and watch the Maasai line up and sing and jump. It is revenue for them for sure but to see the Maasai at work with their cattle and to join them as they go about their daily lives you must go elsewhere.

You can also visit one of the villages near Oldupai camp on your way to Seronera. You certainly don't have to spent the night at this French-owned camp just to visit with the Maasai!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:44 AM

Why does everyone seem to pick on the French?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

The other think i notice is that the vehicle ATR are offering is a Land Rover 110. Is this really a problem?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:26 AM

>>>The other think i notice is that the vehicle ATR are offering is a Land Rover 110. Is this really a problem?<<<

In a word...YES.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Any particular reason before I ask ATR if they can change it
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:07 AM

A few reasons...MKSC Land Rover 110's (at least the dozen or so that I saw while at Olduvai and Moivaro)...old vehicles that rattle incessantly, broken back windows that would not open, limiting my photography opportunities, bolted down armrests in the first row of seats behind the driver, the back row is more like 1.5 seats than 2 seats since the wheel wells intrude into the sitting area.

Also, it was my experience, though this may vary by guide, that the vehicles are not maintained very well during the safari, as far as cleaning them goes...this may be less of an issue is August than during the rains.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM

I've heard a Land Rover is better over rougher roads (big pot holes) and the Land cruisers for longer distances. Other than that does seem there are strong personal opinions. Some of this may be preference of one make/model of car over another or perceived quality differences. Found some pricing on the web.
Think there may be a difference in the bench / chairs for each too.

Land Rover Prices:
Defender 110 Pick Up Td5 Comm €27220
Defender 110 Hard Top Td5 Comm €28330
Defender 110 High Capacity Pick Up Comm €29360

Toyota Land Cruiser Prices:
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm SWB GL €32590
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm SWB GX €35160
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm LWB GL €36580
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm LWB GX €39430
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm LWB GX Auto €41285
Land Cruiser D-4D Comm SWB GX Auto €38210

Look forward to following dialogue.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:38 AM

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM

One more time:
Couple other web links on interiors. Cannot speak to quality or exising issues on vehicles, but I'm also traveling with ATR and will be in Land Cruiser for Overland Safari. Vehicle is stated as being in good condition <2 years old. Think 2 years is about prime usage (good condition) of safari vehicles due to poor road conditions.
As to the safari versions of the vehicles, not sure (outside of pop-top) what else is different to those shown on the pages below.

Land Rover:
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...nfoBlockLink_4

Land Cruiser Interiors: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2006/...rsatility.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -