Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Combination???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/combination-590074/)

santharamhari Feb 10th, 2006 09:54 PM

Combination????

Hi! Would anyone combine a Botswana safari with the migration in the Masai Mara?

If you were to spend a week in Botswana, would you go to the Mara after that, for say, anywhere between 3-7 nights?
OR
would you just do something in Southern Africa for a few more days........??? like South Luangwa or Kafue or something similar???

Trip End August......

Thanks
Hari

jasher Feb 11th, 2006 02:44 AM

Hello Hari,

Personally, I'd advise sticking to either Southern or East Africa, to avoid spending more time on planes than watching wildlife). I've contemplated something similar (southern Tanzania and Botswana) but found that I would have spent far too much time in airports and in transit, due to the logistics of getting to and from the camps and the international airports.

You could certainly spend two weeks in Botswana alone. If you'd like to spend some time in another country, I'd suggst combining Botswana with Zambia or South Africa -- you could connect quite easily through Victoria Falls and onwards to the Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa in Zambia (I think Kafue would be a bit more difficult logistically), or through Joburg for the Sabi Sands.

Cheers,
Julian

santharamhari Feb 11th, 2006 04:58 AM

Thanks Julian,

There are sooooo many options of things to do in Africa.....cant really pick one......

Yes, it may be taxing to fly Kwando-maun-joburg-nairobi all in one stretch and wait around airports......and have another transfer to whatever Mara camp i pick.......

Yes, may just have to stick to something in SA or thereabouts....

THanks for the input...

Hari

atravelynn Feb 11th, 2006 05:58 AM

I'd ADVISE either Southern OR Eastern Africa rather than both, but I've THOUGHT AT LENGTH what a great combo Botswana-Mara would be. Especially in August, the month you suggested.

I've done Botswana with South Luangwa as you suggested (SL first) and that was a great combination without a lot of travel time.

Only once have I combined both Southern and Eastern Africa--Zimbabwe then Uganda & Kenya. I lost one day in travel and had a couple hundred dollar internal flight, but it was no big deal.

I've even thought about a 3M tour. Mala Mala, Mombo, then Migration in the Masai Mara.

Back to your Botswana-Masai Mara question.

If this was my one and only Africa trip of my lifetime and maximizing wildlife viewing was the goal, I'd do just what you proposed--a week in Botswana and as close to a week as time and budget allowed in the Mara.

If I traveled to Africa more frequently and was planning on eventually visiting all the places you mentioned anyway, then I'd group the geographic regions to together and not fly cross continent.

What a wonderful travel dilemma you are facing.

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 06:16 AM

atravelynn,

OK, how about a 3L tour?

Loisaba in Laikipia, Kenya
http://www.chelipeacock.com/camps/loisaba.htm

Luangwa River Lodge in South Luangwa
http://www.luangwariverlodge.com/

Leopard Hills in the Sabi Sand
www.leopardhills.com

One could fly into Nairobi from, spend some time in Kenya, catch a flight from Nairobi to Lusaka to visit South Luangwa, and then finish up in South Africa in the Sabi Sand.

Lusaka is the perfect connection for those individuals wanting to connect Southern Africa with East Africa. May as well visit a place like Tafika or Luangwa River Lodge in South Luangwa or visit Chiawa or Chongwe River Camp in Lower Zambezi, as well!

Anybody else have any alphabet circuits? :)

santharamhari Feb 11th, 2006 06:27 AM

Fortunately, i live in India....my trips to Africa is much shorter than for you guys..........so i give myself one trip every year.....

I wish more years were like 2004 when i went twice....

Yes, just because it is August, i think going to the Mara will be great.....that way...my next trips can be in order
1.) Serengeti andthen Southern Tanzania
2.) Zambia
3.) Botswana again...
3.)

santharamhari Feb 11th, 2006 06:29 AM

Rocco,

I'd replace leopard hills with lebala and keep it 3L....dont know about LRL or Laikapia...but they both look fantastic.

Hari

sonali74 Feb 11th, 2006 06:30 AM

Hari, I feel it is one of the best combinations,some airlines even will give very good deals!!!. I remember on my first trip to masai mara in 2001, I met some indians who had done a trip to southafrica and stopped by the mara for some nights, they were not at all tired or felt rushed....
besides the mara is hard to beat as a wildlife destination in sept. Just saw the bbc cat series films given in a previous link by africaddict (marc). It is awesome...
Sonali.

atravelynn Feb 11th, 2006 01:19 PM

Santharamhari,

So you plan 3 trips in advance too? I go once a year to Africa and have 2006 all set, 2007 in the works but no $ down yet, 2008 on paper and 2009 in my head.

So Botswana to the Mara looks like a winner for you!?

luangwablondes Feb 11th, 2006 01:34 PM

How would this be for a combo. Going to Mahale for the Chimps, then flying to Mfwue, Zambia. ESDC(Ed)Planning trip to Africa, had organized a flight for a plane through ATR at $6K. I helped him find an operator who would make that flight for $3300. Thats cheaper then going back to Dar and flying to Mfuwe via Luasaka and in only 5 hours.

santharamhari Feb 11th, 2006 06:26 PM

Hi! No all trips are in my head......even 2006 trip is just about finalized (first part)....7 nights at Kwando (3n Lagoon and 4n Lebala) Aug 22-29.

I am looking at maybe Mara for a few nights after that......

No, 2007 and 2008 are all in my head.....