College kids' accommodations in Haifa, Israel

Dec 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

College kids' accommodations in Haifa, Israel

DD, friend and nephew will be in Haifa in late Dec/early Jan after Birthright trip. They want to spend a few days exploring the city and nearby sights. They will be coming from Tel Aviv. Need cheap but safe hotel recs that will accomodate them. Will it be warm enough to go to beach? I am assuming bus from TA but if you have other transportation ideas, please share.

Looking for good, value, cheap eat recs as well. Nephew is vegan, but that shouldn't be a problem as assume there are plenty of fruits and veggies locally. Thanks in advance!
Dec 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM

No beach swimming as it will be too cold for most people. Walking on the beach is fine if it's a nice day (it'll be winter, possibly rainy, if not actually cold by northeast US standards.)
I haven't spent much time in Haifa in the past few years, but beach access is much easier in Tel Aviv.

There are trains fom TA to Haifa too that they should check out. http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

Vegan nephew will be fine with all the falafel (with free salad/condiments)variations, and salads are great in restaurants though not cheap (they're huge) and often have cheese, yogurt dressing etc that he can avoid.

What nearby sights are they interested in?
Dec 7th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

They are planning to visit the following:

Bahai Gardens
Science musuem
Art museum
Cable car ride

Other suggestions? How far is this from the Kineret?

Any hotel/hostel recs? Thanks!
Dec 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Ok, all the sites are in Haifa so it should be fine, You mentioned nearby sights and I though maybe they meant other locations up north that are much less convenient with public transportation.

There are buses between the major and most minor cities and they're young enough to deal with it. Google maps is good for distances (at least driving distances) in Israel so you or they can use that to estimate and then check Egged bus schedules for various trips. Looks like a bus from Haifa to Tiberias is about 75 minutes each way.

My last hotel in Haifa was a boutique hotel and I'm long past hostel days, so sorry, I can't help with that part.

Search this Thread