Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Coffee and Tea (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/coffee-and-tea-386031/)

Travel_Bug_Cin Jun 28th, 2008 04:09 PM

Coffee and Tea

Everything I've read in books and on this site says not to drink the tap water, only bottled. What about the water used in restaurants and coffee houses for coffee and tea? Is it safe? Any advice?

skibumette Jun 28th, 2008 04:16 PM

Tea and coffee are fine if they are HOT. If it was hot and has cooled down, not to worry...but if it comes to you at a less than HOT temp, you have no reassurance that the water came to a boil.

Casual_Cairo Jun 28th, 2008 09:34 PM

Very true! If it was boiled (or nearly in the case of brewed coffee) there is absolutely nothing to worry about AT ALL. Also, MOST coffee you get in your hotels is going to be Nescafe and the water was literally brought to a boil for that - but I've yet to hear about Starbucks having any sick customers, so they must get their water hot enough too. Yes, Starbucks is here too - finally.

But, also know that the water is not THAT dangerous. It's not like drinking directly out of the Nile River. If you are American, then your tax dollars have been over here for many years working on infrastructure to build clean, decent water treatment plants so the water won't kill us. It WILL have a lot of chlorine in it (so it smells a bit like a swimming pool) and the bacteria in it WILL be different than the water you have at home, so your tummy might not like it, but you can relax a little. A little used for brushing your teeth shouldn't bother a normally otherwise healthy person. Keep the name ANTiNAL available in case you do come down with any tummy issues. It is $1 a box and easily found at any Pharmacy (Chemist).

sniktawk Jun 29th, 2008 01:52 AM

I would just like to thank all Americans for providing me with water fit to drink, you are so kind.

sunshine007 Jun 29th, 2008 08:28 AM

So rarely does the USA get a positive comment....

The American waters (teehee) are, of course, not just for American tourists. Egypt has had a high rate of water-based dieases which, I believe, hae gone down with the advent of American waters. Just one of the many things we do to keep the world safe.

Casual_Cairo Jun 29th, 2008 11:00 AM

To tell the truth I know of some German GTZ and Italian (don't know what their AID program is called) groups that have been here improving water quality too, so you can thank them too. ;)

dmlove Jun 29th, 2008 04:49 PM

Debbie, are you kidding me -- there's Starbucks in CAIRO? Obviously, I waited too long before visiting :)

Casual_Cairo Jun 29th, 2008 11:53 PM

Starbucks arrived here at least a year ago - the way time flies, maybe it was two years ago, but they are here. Not one on every corner like I've heard some people thought it would be like, but they are around. In Heliopolis we have one, in City Stars there are 2, in another mall in the area is another, and I saw one at the airport in Terminal 3 when I flew out to the states last year. I'm sure there are more than that, but I don't really care where they are as long as all of the ones I just mentioned are in my back yard! Oh yeah, they are at the Carrefour City Center Malls too.

If you are a collector, they have a City Mug that has the Sphinx on it.

There is also a Starbucks at the Four Seasons in Alexandria, but they don't have a different city mug.

dmlove Jun 30th, 2008 07:47 AM

I'm not a collector per se, but that one would be one to have!

sunshine007 Jun 30th, 2008 12:33 PM

There's one yet unopened not far north of the Sofitel entrance to Maadi on the Corniche.