clothing suggestions - SA in May

Apr 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

clothing suggestions - SA in May

hello everybody--

I leave to go to South Africa and Swaziland in 10 days, and one thing i'm not quite sure of is what to pack clothing-wise. first off, i must say i'm not going as a tourist. i'm with a small crew shooting a documentary. that said, any suggestions? i need to be able to pack light. anybody live there or been there recently who knows what the weather has been like lately?
Apr 18th, 2005, 02:51 PM

May is winter and we found it very pleasant in 2004. In the Cape region it was cool enough to need full sleeve tops and even fleeces/ jumpers. On the Eastern coast it was generally warmer and sunny enough for T-shirts though the weather was changeable and we still carried our long-sleeves with us. The coast itself was also very windy indeed during our visit.
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM

May is the beginning of winter. But winter in South Africa is unlike what most Northern Hemisphere people are used to.

During the day it can warm up quite nicely. Long pants and short sleeve shirts, with possibly a light jacket. Evenings and early mornings can be quite chilly though so be prepared to layer with sweaters or thicker jackets early and late. For the area you are visiting you shouldn't need to worry about rain fall at that time of the year. It should be quite dry.

Generally dress is fairly casual from a business point of view. Khakis or jeans should be perfectly acceptable. Those convertible pants (the ones which zip off to be shorts) may be quite handy.

Hope this helps - if you want to email me with specific questions feel free - [email protected]

PS I'm a South African in the US

Search this Thread