Welcome back Kavey

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome back Kavey

Hope you had a brilliant time - I can't wait to read your trip report. I don't often visit the other forums so please let me know once you've posted report / photos etc.

The board has been really busy while you've been away, so our S Luangwa trip report is buried about a thousand threads down if you are interested.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Kavey I too would love to hear your comments on the Galapagos. We were there last year. I would like to hear how you compare the Galapagos "safari" experience with the African one. My husband & I had a conversation comparing the two on the flight home from Africa in Feb so I would be interested to hear your comments.

Welcome home and I am glad you enjoyed the 20D I love mine!

J
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Ruthie, thanks, will hunt...

Galapagos was amazing... the wildlife experience was incredible. I know one reads and hears that the animals and birds are utterly fearless of humans (because they have never had ANY natural predators) but... it's hard to comprehend until you see it. You walk AMONGST them all.

Birds, Land and Marine Iguanas, Giant Tortoises, Crabs, Lizards... amazing photo opportunities. Also the islands are beautiful. Oh and snorkelling with sharks and seals and penguins and everything...

Not the same as Africa in that it's ONLY about the scenery and wildlife (not that I'm saying that's not enough, it IS and I'd love to go again) - what it doesn't have is that mysterious something else that Africa has - that undescribable pull - that sense of belonging and desperation to be there.

And Peru is... as exciting, colourful, intense and unique as I remembered it from 20+ years ago.

Sleep was not something we enjoyed in abundance - the festival was full on and then the Peru trip was more than highlights packed into a highlights-only duration. But worth it!

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Kavey I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the Galpagos lacks the mystery of Africa, and the awe inspring pull of the African landscapes. However, it is absolutely amazing to have to be constantly aware that you don't step on an iguana or blue footed booby as you stroll along the trail looking at the hundreds of other iguanas around you. I guess Africa leaves you feeling you are really in the wild and sometimes in the Galapagos you have to remind yourself that it is the wild but the animals are not scared of you at all.

There are just so many wonderful places out there.

J
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Exactly!
Don't get me wrong - I LOVED the wildlife experiences and the entire trip was great... I'd go again in a heartbeat ... unless the choice was between Galagagos and an Africa safari...
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM

<Not the same as Africa in that it's ONLY about the scenery and wildlife (not that I'm saying that's not enough, it IS and I'd love to go again) - what it doesn't have is that mysterious something else that Africa has - that undescribable pull - that sense of belonging and desperation to be there.>

I too think that you hit the nail squarely on the head with this statement! I felt the same way about the differences between our Galapagos trip and our Africa trip. Welcome home!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like you had a great trip. I look forward to seeing your photos.

I hope I don't find the place that has more pull than Africa - I can't imagine having to deal with another one!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM
sandi

Welcome home. A little quiet around here without your input, but then you had another adventure... a pretty busy year for you. Sounds like you enjoyed even if packed full. Can't wait to see the pics.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM

I'm so behind on pics! Before I worry about these pics I really ought to sort through and post some of the pics from the two month Africa trip last year, from the Bordeaux trip, from Antarctica and then this one... and I haven't even finished the Africa trip report from last year either! SIGH!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:12 PM

That's great you had a good Galapagos trip. Another wonderful wildlife destination. I'll look for a report on the Latin America board.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Kavey,

Welcome home. Hope you had a fabulous time in the Galapagos Islands.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Kavey I think you understood what I was trying to say! Sometimes it is hard to get the right wording in these posts to relay what you really mean!
J
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Kavey, glad that you had a great trip. The Galapagos is fabulous, and while I definitely want to return, I don't think I could visit annually or biannually, like I could Africa. But, Africa is an entire continent with many national parks, and the Galapagos is probably a few square miles of land spread over many islands.

Are you going to post a detailed itinerary, including which islands you visited? I rarely frequent the Latin America branch, so if you post there, can you give us a hint to go to that branch.

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM

My last big trip was the Galapagos so I can't wait to compare, but I can't say I was nearly as excited about Galapagos or Peru that I am about Africa. THere is definitely something about that mysterious continent...
There is something cool about going to sleep at night and waking up on a different island though.

Welcome back.

csuss
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Michael
I've never frequented that branch either so would be weird for me to post a report there but would be happy to post a summary here ASAP. (Shorter trip so will likely get around to it before I ever finish the long africa report or the antarctic one)!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks CSuss... yes, though I'm not normally into cruises (I prefer longer in a place and usually to be able to overnight there) it's obviously perfectly suited to visiting these islands. Our ship, the M/N Santa Cruz was a lovely home and our cabin, a superior double on the boat deck, had these fantastic floor to ceiling double windows out - like patio doors, but non-opening, of course. Wonderful views - we woke up to several hundred (yes that's right) dolphins just next to the boat on the last morning.