Clothing Needed for Time in the Desert

Mar 7th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Clothing Needed for Time in the Moroccan Desert in April

I will be doing the 2 night trek to the desert in Morocco at the end of April. Suggestions on what is needed esp for warmth at night during that time of the year would be appreciated. Do I need a warm jacket? I know layers, but what should the layers consist of? I'm a very light packer & I hate taking a jacket for just the time in the desert. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by yestravel; Mar 7th, 2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add tag
Mar 7th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Take the jacket. It could be cool in lots of Morocco, especially at night. Don't think "Sahara", think southern Europe climate-wise. You might consider one of those lightweight down "shirts" to layer, that stuff down to nothing, rather than a full-sized jacket.
Mar 7th, 2018, 08:05 AM

I have a friend who was dropped off at the airport on the way to Morocco and was so upset when she realized that she still had her jacket and did not leave it in the car. Her trip started in the desert and she said that she was never so happy to have her jacket in her life. She could not imagine not having it. Of course, she never used it again on the trip but said it was well worth carrying it for the rest of her trip. Get one of those soft, easily foldable, super warm puffy jackets...Have fun! I loved Morocco myself but did not sleep in the desert.
Mar 7th, 2018, 11:24 PM

I've done time in the desert and my 2 cents is as follows....Take a cue from the locals.The Bedouins know their environment very well.The blistering heat of the day to the sudden sand storms and the biting chill of the night. Their long flowing robes and the head-gear protects them from the elements. Summer daytime temperatures climb well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and after the sun goes down, though, the night can be chilly -- even freezing.A fleece jacket with a hood would be appropriate
That dosen't mean you did need to wear a robe. Loose cotton clothes( light weight Khakis) which also breathes and offer protection from the sun would be advisable.A scarf offers valuable extra protection and can be wrapped around your head and used to cover your mouth and nose from the blowing winds & sand.Sun screen for exposed skin,
Trekking shoes would be a very cumbersome in sand,while sandals leave your feet exposed to hot sand. Light shoes would do the trick,but be prepared to keep emptying it off sand.
Mar 8th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. They are very helpful. My next question was going to be on shoes so I appreciate the suggestion there from inquest. Though at this point I am stumped on what I have that could be used.
Mar 15th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Wondering about shoes for time in Desert. I have a stretchy fabric ballet flat -easy on easy off for dumping sand out. It’s a lightweight fabric with solid sole. Does that sound like it might work?
Mar 15th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Shoes in dessert: What you describe sounds ok, but I wore flip-flops , day and night, in the Sahara. Easy on, easy off, easy sand-emptying! That was 47 yrs ago (YIPES!) and flip-flops now e.g. the basic Crocs for $20, are much better than the five and dime store ones back-in-the-day.

Yestravel, as Inquest said, bring a light thickness long scarf--something you can breathe through but which will protect your nose and mouth in case of blowing sand. The longer the scarf, the better---for layers to keep you warm once the sun goes down (the temperature change once that happens is almost startling) and also so you can easily tie it around your face whiny are outside. Also, local markets--perhaps at your first stop-- should have lengths of gauze which are inexpensive and are what the desert people use. Also, of course sunglasses not just as protection from the bright light, but also from the sand and dust.

Enjoy!!!!
Mar 15th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

CaliN, thanks so much! I figured flip flops, as they do at the beach would get the sand trapped and pull the shoe down making it hard to walk. Though I sure agree makes for easy dumping.

i do have lots of choices of scarves but I like the idea of also buying the gauze and will keep an eye out for it.
Mar 15th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Sorry--while you are outside, not whiny outside!
I travel light too. If you decide on it, somewhat squishable flip-flops will not take up a lot of room in your bag, and are great for the long airplane rides. There are loads on Amazon, etc; here's one of many possibilities. Who knew there are so many variations on basic flip flops? https://tinyurl.com/yaqxxuz3
Mar 15th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, I figured you meant while. I was planning on taking a pair of flip flops for pools or beach towns so will have a pair most likely. Never thought to wear them on a flight—-my feet get cold too easily!��
Mar 16th, 2018, 02:38 AM

The whole of the massive area to the south and east of the Atlas Mountains is a semi-arid/arid pre-saharan steppes zone. Mainly hamada (stone/rock surface) but with a couple of relatively small areas of sand. But just because there's sand underfoot doesn't change the climatic conditions. The temperature in the sand dunes will be pretty much the same as, for example, Ouarzazate. In fact Merzouga is 400m lower altitude than Ouarzazate so could be milder.

But there's nothing worse than being cold so take a light jacket.
Mar 16th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I do plan on a light jacket and maybe a couple layers as needed.
Mar 17th, 2018, 05:28 AM

This is so helpful! I'm also off to Morocco soon and will be spending a night in the desert, so these suggestions are great. And you've given me a good excuse to buy yet another scarf!
Mar 19th, 2018, 08:52 AM

Not sure what the weather will be like at the end of April, but we just returned from Morocco two weeks ago and spent one night in the desert. It was COLD. We were glad to have brought our packable down jackets and I was glad I had a scarf (because we also had a wind storm). I brought old Toms (slip ons) specifically for my time in the desert - I was able to walk up the dunes and empty the sand easily. I then just left them in Morocco. They didn't take up much room in my suitcase and were light as a feather.
Mar 19th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jojogump. I've been watching the weather in Morocco and noting that it is cooler than I would have suspected for this time of the year. How was it in other parts of Morocco? The shoes I'm thinking of for the desert re similar to Toms so glad to hear that worked for you.
Mar 30th, 2018, 12:35 AM

Thanks............................................ .................
Mar 31st, 2018, 04:30 PM

thanks for giving help

Search this Thread