Reload this Page >

Botswana mobile camping + 1 lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
laurar

I previously posted a message regarding a private mobile camping safari we're planning on for Aug 2007 to Chobe, Savute, and Moremi. We're planning a 15 night total trip, 11 nights camping. We now would like to add 3-4 nights at one of the permanent camps in the Delta just to get a little more remote for a few nights. If you were to pick just one camp (we cannot affort Mombo), and had a high priority of seeing cats (including cheetahs and leopards), which camp would you select? I have read good reviews of Vumburu, Chiefs Camp, Kwando concession.
Laura.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM
johan_belgium

Laura,

Chitabe - I've always been very fortunate with cats and dogs there.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:41 AM
laurar

Thanks, Johan! I knew I could count on you!

Laura.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM
laurar

Johan:

How would you compare the cat/dog viewing at Chiefs Camp vs. Chitabe.

Thanks.

Laura.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed Chitabe in Aug of 2005 and saw about a leopard a day and two lion prides. No cheetah. There was other good game, including wild dogs, but you asked specifically about cats. There are no water activities at Chitabe, in case that matters to you.

Any of those camps you listed would provide a good experience with cat possibilities.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
johan_belgium

Laura,

At that time of year I would prefer Chitabe.

Chief's camp is located on Chief's island which is split up between Mombo (Wilderness safaris) and Chief's camp (Sanctuary lodges).

They don't come into each other areas and actually split up the island. They promise their clientele exclusivity.

In the past they weren't always that strict about but they had a major dispute late April 2005/early May 2005 where Wildernes Safaris complained that the vehicles of Chief's camp came to close to their camp. The reason they did that was because of the following reason: Mombo is located at the most fertile part of the island and has superior gameviewing. Only the rhinos seems to prefer the area around Chief's.

Now before the floods arrive, Chief's camp has still access to Boro West, an area taming with wildlife, which they can't go to after the floods have arrived. So in wintertime, they have few roads they can drive on and gameviewing is rather poor compared to other parts of the year.

I visited Chief's camp before and after the settlement with Wilderness and it was like two different worlds.
I was there in April 2005 and spent an entire safari at Chief's with phenomenal gameviewing. I made some exceptionnal shots of the Steroid boys (Cheetahs) and several lion prides.
Leopard viewing was very nice but I didn't made any shots to be proud of.

I was upset because thay didn't tell me anything about what happened and if I've known that I wouldn't have gone there in wintertime. I actually asked for a transfer to Baines which I got without paying any extra (which I really appreciated). And lucky for us, the gameviewing at Baines was from a high quality.

At certain times of year, Chief's camp still has fantastic gameviewing but I wouldn't go there in August. If you don't know the area, you just don't have a clue so ...

At Chitabe, I've always seen all the big cats and the sightings were from a very high quality. Some of my best pics were taken at Chitabe. I've seen the dogs there +/- 10 times. And I am practicing what I preace and will be there again in June 2007. If you decide to go there try to book Phinley (Chitabe) or Ben (Chitabe trails) as a guide.

You don't have any water activities at Chitabe (which is not a disadvantage if you are looking for cats) but you can go to the Gomoti channel (at the border with the Moremi national Park). You can't do any boat trips there but if you like to take pictures of hippos yawning it's a great place to go to (go in the afternoon and not in the morning because of the light conditions).

Kwando and Vumbura are also two fantastic areas but for predators I've always been more lucky at Chitabe.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
laurar

Thank you so much, Johan!

Laura.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM
santharamhari

Johan,

I feel like i'm missing the plot, by doing the new Kwara Island vs Chitabe for cats and dogs! Hahaha......

Just kidding.......that's just the luck of the draw....i'm sure their new camp is nice and game viewing decent....i guess we'll know more about it sooner, since your trip is in May.

Hari