Clothes for Egypt in March

Nov 14th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Clothes for Egypt in March

We will be in Egypt the first two weeks in March visiting Cairo, Aswan, Abu Simbel, and doing the Nile Cruise sights. I dread packing as I tend to overpack and/or pack the wrong assortment.

As I read the posts and guidebooks, it has been noted many times that shorts and short sleeve shirts are inappropriate. However, when I look at photos of people touring the sights (other than Cairo), it looks like 90% of the tourists are wearing these (I'm not talking about very short shorts or skimpy tops). What was your experience?

I understand that it will get warm during the day and cool in the evenings. I'm all right with the Cairo part, but how cool does it get during the cruise, in Aswan and in AS? The guidebooks say it the low is between 54-61. Are they talking about the wee hours of the morning? How about the temperature at dinnertime?
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:37 PM

evelyntrav - I can't help you because I haven't been there. Just let me say I'm jealous!

Nov 14th, 2003, 01:53 PM
sandi

evelyntrav -

You're right about Cairo, keep yourself covered with skirt, slacks, cropped pants, and arms covered.

At the Pyramids you can wear crop pants or long walking shorts, again covered arms.

On the stops along the Nile cruise, people will wear shorts and shirts and do have good walking shoes as ground often uneven and should be rubber soled. The further south you travel (to Upper Egypt) Luxor, Aswan & Abu Simbel the hotter it gets. But it is NOT Humid. For your stop at Valley of Kings & Queens this is very early 6am departure because it is very hot by 9am, and it can get quite "close" inside tombs. And for tour of Luxor and Karnak Temples they do later in afternoon, 4pm, instead of mid-day.

While cruising Nile many people will be on top deck in swimsuits and using the tiny pool, but it's wet - or just tanning - others will sit under the canvas covering avoiding the direct sun. But once you leave the boat - it's proper dress of skirt, long shorts, pants, and covered arms.

Yes, the evenings do get cool, sometimes dropping as much as 30 degrees from high of afternoon, so a shawl or lt. weight jacket is recommended, if you go up on deck or take a walk in Luxor or Aswan at nite.
It is also cool in Cairo in the evenings. Enjoy your holiday - wish I were going back again.

Nov 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Several issues with clothing. Woven cotton (versus knit cotton or synthetic) is best for heat - but then you have the wrinkle issue. Looser is better than tighter. Combine these with lightweight and longer sleeves and pants legs or skirt and you are all set.

What I wore (and my teenage daughter) was loose cotton pants or capri length pants with short sleeve (not sleeveless) cotton top. I would not have felt comfortable in shorts. Several attractive teenage girls in our group wore sleeveless tops and shorts and were hassled everywhere.

We had read that men are not seen in shorts in public in Egypt - and this seemed so for Egyptians. My teenage son wore longer baggy cargo shorts and that seemed OK for him. It was surprising to us how formal Egyptian men were (those not wearing traditional clothing) - usually wearing a dress shirt and even a jacket, even in the heat.

We were there in April - one light sweater was all I needed for evening - I brought one a little dressier for evenings on the Nile cruise.

On the Nile cruise ship anything goes.

As far as packing, since clothes are lightweight, you can fit a fair amount. Bring extra tops since you will sweat through them on really hot days and may want a change of clothing after touring around.

I wore sneakers or sturdy walking sandals. I also brought a wonderful reversible dress I got from the Travelsmith catalog - pattern on one side, black on the other. Most women on the Nile cruise wore casual skirts or dresses for dinner.

In mosque and Coptic part of Cairo in old churches I was all prepared with head covering. In both, local Egyptian women were entering without head covering, but you might want to have a scarf ready just in case. The same skimpily dressed teenagers in our group were given long tunic-type things to put on in the mosque as they were deemed inappropriately dressed.

Have a great trip. I too am jealous and eager to return.

Search this Thread