Climbing Kili

Jun 24th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Climbing Kili

I am taking a group of student to climb Kilimajaro. I am 51 and have been trying to get in shape to be able to handle the stress of this climb. Please offer suggestions...
someone told me we should vaseline our feet to help avoid blisters...suggestions for socks, liners...what type etc. what else?
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM

I climbed Kili in September the year I turned 40. I don't think you need to worry about vaseline on your feet, etc. The hiking is not that long or that strenuous in that way. You'll really only need sock liners, glove liners, etc. on the night before the summit climb and the start of the summit climb itself. The biggest concern is the altitude. The longer you can take for the climb in terms of days the better off you will be, particularly if you live at sea level like I do. I was in very good physical shape, but I only made it to Gilman's Point (18,000 ft) and couldn't go any further because of pulmonary edema -- I just couldn't breathe. I did manage to hike back down, however, although I don't think it was a pretty sight! So, do all the training you can and take your time. All that being said, Kili is a beautiful mountain and I'm so glad I got to do the climb that I did.
I don't think I had any permanent effects from the edema. I hiked in the Andes 2 years later (only to 16,000 feet) and had no problem, but I was definitely more acclimated there.
Good luck and enjoy the hike and try not to get too caught up in the "I have to make it to the summit" fever, which is hard not to do while you're there!

Search this Thread