Search

Kenya vs. South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:06 PM
H Chadwick

Kenya vs. South Africa

Please help settle a question. My wife and I have 2 weeks vacation in Sep. I am leaning towards South Africa (Krueger, Zululand, Joburg, and a side trip to Vic Falls). My wife is leaning towards Kenya, with maybe a week on the coast (Malindi?). Anyway, which would be your pick? Highly subjective I know! Security is a concern and she may have been thrown off by stories of the growing crime rate in South Africa. Any help is greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>HC

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Karen

Almost forgot - Book early. South Africa's tourist trade is growing faster than the accommodation in some places. If something like the World Cricket or President's Cup is happening, is is really hard to find vacancies if you wait till the last minute.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Grant Fowlds

If you want safety and value for money-then South Africa is your best. Try the Eastern Cape Game Reserves. They are malaria free!!! Do Cape Town and the garden Route and spend a few days in Kruger as it's vastness is unique? If you want beauty beaches, and game try Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. We have a private reserve 68kms from PE and I would seriously consider this reqion, Addo elepant Park, Shamwari and others.<BR><BR>We can reccomend-no hidden agendas-thousands of happy tourists can be wrong!!!<BR><BR>Grant<BR>Amakhala Game Reserve<BR>Eastern Cape

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Deb

As someone who has visited both East Africa (Kenya)and Southern Africa (S. Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana), there are differences between the two. And I will also say, they are both beautiful in their own way. Note: I visited both in the late Sept-early Oct time period. <BR><BR>I first went to Kenya (Masai Mara &amp; Lake Nakuru) in 1990. In 2001, I returned when I went to visit friends. This time I again visited the Masai Mara but chose to see Amboseli (had to see Kilimanjaro).<BR><BR>In the Masai Mara, you can go offroading to see the animals and you see vast herds on endless plains. In South Africa which I visited in 1995 (I didn't go to Kruger but to a private reserve right outside called Sabi Sand Reserve and stayed at Idube), the herds overall are much smaller and the landscape is more bushland. For example, in South Africa I saw a solitary wildebeest; this would have been unheard of on the Masai Mara plain where I saw herds so large I couldn't count them. <BR><BR>[I would recommend that if you choose South Africa, go to one of the private reserves like Sabi which does allow <BR>offroading vs. Kruger where you have to stay on the roads.] <BR><BR>Types of animals: Animals are similar. If you go to South Africa, you <BR>are more likely to see rhinos in the wild (and I saw my one and only leopard there). And if you like birds, nothing beats the variety in Africa.<BR><BR>Also I always thought God had a funny sense of humor when he made zebras have stripes. On the plains of East Africa, the stripes are like bullseyes; however, in South Africa, in the bushlands, zebras do blend in to the bush. But I didn't see my Big Five until South Africa (I never saw a leopard in Kenya). <BR><BR>Again, they are different but both are worthwhile.<BR><BR>Re: Crime. In South Africa, we had no problem but then we didn't stay in Jo'brg at all. Capetown is BEAUTIFUL! and the Stellenbosch (the winelands) are gorgeous. In Nairobi, take a cab everywhere after dark and don't wear expensive jewelery. You will be fine.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time...I am already envious and trying to go to Tanzania in the spring of 2003 and hopefully Botswana and Namibia in the autumn of 2004. Once Africa gets under your skin, you will have a difficult time staying away (there is NOTHING like an East Africa sunset!).

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:15 AM
HChadwick

Thanks All. What will the weather be like in Eastern South Africa in 2nd half of Sep? Any chance of a couple of days by a pool? (Bear in mind, we are Canadian and it does not take to much to be a warm day for us). Is Capetown a must?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Karen

Hi again<BR>We have just been having a good laugh at my expense about recommending Canada as a second choice to you - another Canadian. <BR>I think Cape Town is a must. It's unique, historical, close to the wine district, has great shopping, Table Mountain and on and on.<BR>Come on over. You'll love it!