Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to the Seychelles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:06 AM
Paige

Hello! My husband and I are starting to plan a trip for the end of February or March for 2 weeks. We'd like to visit the 3 main islands, would rather not rent a car and are looking for hotels (guesthouses?) for about $100 per night. Can anyone recommend some places to stay? We are interested in diving (for beginners), snorkeling, walking on the beach, hiking, etc. Any recommendations or good info? How will the weather and diving conditions be then? Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:08 AM
Paige

I forgot to ask: does anyone know of any good websites on the Seychelles? Thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Paige

Can anyone give me any hotel recommendations? How about where the best area to stay is on each island? I've ordered guidebooks but they haven't arrived yet so I'm a bit short on info (I live in Germany - not many English bookstores around). Thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Lilly

Paige: <BR>Good luck finding any accommodation in the Seychelles for US $100.00 Average price is more like US $350. If you find something cheaper it won't be at any accessible place and you will need to rent a car which could be very expensive on Mahe or on other islands you may find yourself a far away from the beaches. I suggest you postpone your visit to Seychelles and focus on saving more money. I am not being sarcastic but speaking from my own experience. We wanted to go to Seychelles but after doing an extensive research and counting money we are going to Madagascar and Mauritius in April. Check Melissa's great report regarding Seychelles on this forum. And there are other reports with many useful information. Seychelles is a wonderful place to visit but you will run to money. Did you consider Madagascar or Mauritius? You will find what you are looking for in Mauritius but for much less.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 12:39 AM
Paige

Lilly, thanks for the response. I guess my initial estimates were a bit low, but I've seen lots of hotels for $150-200 per night. It's not an issue of saving more money, it's that I can't see spending $350 per night on a hotel! Thanks anyway!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Susan

I agree with Paige on this one. First of all, $350 is actually $525 CAD! I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a room for the night unless I was independently wealthy. I was really interested in the Seychelles, but it looks as though that trip might not be possible for me unless I win the lottery!

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Kbrus

Paige, <BR>We went to the Seychelles two years ago <BR>and we stayed at gueshouses on all three island. Our average cost was $115-$118, they were very nice accommodations and we did not have to rent a car. We did rent a car one day on Praslin and we rented a bike on LaDigue.We used www.seychelles-resa.com <BR>to book our guesthouses before we arrived. The Seychelles Tourist Office will send you some useful information if you contact them. Write me if you have any more questions.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 02:27 AM
kbrus

I forgot to mention that our favorite <BR>guesthouse was within walking distance to a marine national park and the water was beautiful. It was called Eden's Holiday Resort. When we stayed there it had just opened and there wasn't a restaurant yet so the first night there <BR>the owner invited us up to his house for dinner. The website is www.seychelles.net/eden/index.html