City Sights

Aug 16th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

City Sights

My husband and I are going to Cairo in December. We have several free days. We are already scheduled for the main tourist attractions. What to all the experts out there suggest for off the beaten path activities. The Egyptian Museum is already on our plans. We do not want see more museums. Maybe something outside. Has anyone taken the camel ride near the pyramids? Thought that might be fun, but are the camels mistreated (beaten)?
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Definitely visit the Birqash camel market (its about one hour by taxi).

The camel ride near the pyramids is interesting, but do it after hours when you enter from the farside, and you'll have the Giza Plateau to yourself (and your guide, of course).

Also, suggest visiting the Cities of the Dead (the cemetaries that many locals live within). A bit unsafe, but fine if you drive through in a taxi.

Michael
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I went to Egypt 2 years ago & the Egyptian Museum was great. Also took a 5 mile Camel ride & it was awesome. I was hanging on for DEAR LIFE the 1st. half as I thought the saddle was going to slide off sideways, but it didn.t I was scared that the Camels next to me were going to bite me. When they stopped to let us off I almost flew off in front when they knelt down. The guide caught me in time. There was no stirrups to balance you. All in all it was a great experience. Have fun....Jim
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thit_cho,

I was thinking about going to the City of the Dead with a guide. Is it safe to walk around with a guide?

regg11,

Did you do the camel ride near the pyamids? Were the camels mistreated?
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:53 AM

You did not exactly outline what was included in your organized visits so I could suggest other sites/visits. I doubt it includes Coptic Cairo (old Christian churches and sites) though.

As for the city of the dead, I would not advise you to do so. Even for someone living in Cairo, I find it a bad idea, nothing exciting, sort of shanty town...

Camel ride is memorable, a bit scary even if for someone who has done it a few times and no they are not mistreated

Search this Thread