Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   ciragan palace and other turkey info (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ciragan-palace-and-other-turkey-info-124618/)

John May 17th, 2001 02:17 PM

ciragan palace and other turkey info

I will be visiting Istanbul in June and would like to know if the Ciragan Palace is worth the price. We are debating between staying there, the Swissotel or some of the smaller, less expensive hotels in the Sultanhamet area...any thoughts on the above or on places to stay in Pammukale or Antalya would be much appreciated

Al May 18th, 2001 03:16 PM

It's entirely a matter of personal preference. The Ciragan Palace (pronounced sher-AHN) overlooks the Bosphorus and is a neighbor of the interesting Dolmabache Palace, last home of the Turkish sultans. It is possibly the poshest hotel in Istanbul. It reeks of money. On the other hand, is is away from the Sultanahmet area or the area around Taksim Square, center of street action. <BR>Personally, we have always preferred the latter. Taksim and/or Sultanahmet can't be beat for people-watching, nearby restaurants, or walking around. <BR>Pammukale, of course, offers fewer choices. We stayed at the Hotel Richmond in nearby Denizli. Good value for money, clean, fine food. Splendid thermal hot springs pool. In Antalya, we stayed at the Hotel Dedeman -- absolutely superb, fine good, magnificent views, excellent pool, away from the noise of town yet close in enough. It's a real palace.

Erol May 18th, 2001 07:50 PM

Ciragan Palace is definitely the poshest hotel in Istanbul by far right on the Bosphoros but is out of the way from the main attractions. You have to use taxi to get around but this could be viewed as a positive or a negative depending on your perspective. John Kennedy had spent his honeymoon there when I last vacationed in Istanbul. I stayed at the Parksa Hilton which was a very good value in the Macke section up the hill from the Swissotel. Excellent hotel for quality, value and location. If money is no object, by all means stay at the Ciragan Palace. I certainly would. Sorry I don't have any information about hotels at the other locations as I only spent a half a day in Pamukale on the way to Izmir and stayed at Club Med right outside of Antalya. Good luck on your trip. By the way the correct pronunciation of Ciragan is chir-ahan and not with a sh as the other post claimed. I was born there and still speak/write in Turkish.

Basar Sep 11th, 2001 03:49 AM

Have look Four Saison Hotel in Sultanahmet <BR>www.silkroadhotels.com <BR>Basar-Istanbul

anne Sep 23rd, 2001 04:09 AM

I liked the Four Seasons better than the Ciragan Palace and it's closer to the central tourist sights in Istanbul. About the same $, but book early to get in.

hakan Mar 2nd, 2002 09:25 AM

Hi,<BR>Ciragan is really a beautiful hotel,<BR>I would also recommend you some hotels in sultanahmet or taxim area.<BR><BR>but my expertise is anatolia,<BR>I would highly recommend dedeman in antalya ,<BR>pamukkale Lycus river,<BR>kusadasi korumar hotel or kalehan ( boutique hotel )<BR><BR>I worked as a tour guide , I travelled and stayed in almost all hotels in turkey. if you want to ask mroe about a hotel write directly at www.turkishpeople.com since I dont check this site alot.<BR>regards.<BR>hakan<BR>www.turkishpeople.co m<BR><BR><BR>

Jim Mar 22nd, 2002 03:33 AM

If you got the $$$, why would you even consider staying else where? I stayed in Ciragan for 9 days (my company paid for it) and it was a better hotel than any of American hotels. Extremely clean and quality furnished rooms, great service, awesome food and besides do you really want to miss the chance for being so close to Bosphorus (reason for Istanbul being Istanbul)?

xxxx Mar 25th, 2002 12:58 PM

I have stayed at both the Ciragan Palace and at the Four Seasons. While the Ciragan certainly is a little more "extravagant" in decor, I'd certainly choose the Four Seasons over it. I might have well have been at a Ritz Carlton somewhere in the states as at the Ciragan. There was nowhere to walk to, while the Four Seasons is close to everything exciting in Istanbul and has a wonderful atmosphere as well. If your idea of a place to stay is to not leave the hotel, enjoy room service, or the hotel's restaurants instead of local places, and take a taxi wherever you want to go, then you will probably like the Ciragan -- it is a lovely hotel. But to experience Istanbul -- choose the Four Seasons.

jgm Apr 15th, 2002 09:25 AM

We have stayed at the Ciragan on three separate occasions and count it as one of our premier hotel experiences in the world. The views are incomparable,food and service great. We had no problems finding places to walk for entertainment, e.g. the docks to catch the local boat tours of the Bosphorus, about $1 us apiece, and water taxis to go to restaurants up the Bosphorus. taxis to the bazaars and evening entertainment were convenient and relatively inexpensive. It's at the top of our list for all ages in our famile (12-70).