Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Churchill Safaris - Review - The Booked my Gorilla/Chimpanzee Safari

Churchill Safaris - Review - The Booked my Gorilla/Chimpanzee Safari

Mar 28th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Churchill Safaris - Review - The Booked my Gorilla/Chimpanzee Safari

I booked my safari with Churchill Safaris and I can honestly say they are FANTASTIC!!!!!! I worked with the owner, Ether Birungi Kyambadde ([email protected]), and she was great. I went by myself at the end of December for three weeks. I went to the Ngambe Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary and stayed overnight to do a forest walk with 10 chimpanzees. You have to arrange in advance and get a lot of shots to avoid giving the chimpanzees any diseases, but the experience is magical. I tracked chimpanzees in Kibale Forest, tracked gorillas in Uganda and Rwanda (also golden monkeys). I did a safari in Queen Elizabeth Park in the Ishasha sector, and Ether arranged for me to have a cooking lesson at her house to learn how to make a traditional Ugandan meal. Churchill Safaris is fantastic and very responsive. My driver/guide named Isaac was with me the entire trip and he has a great personality and had a lot of information to share. I cannot say enough good things about them and my trip. I highly recommend booking through Churchill Safaris
Apr 1st, 2013, 05:25 AM

Hi - I read your blog after reading this on TA & seeing the link there. I loved hearing about your experiences as your trip had some similarites to ours last month. How lucky you were with the silverback - getting to see him in a, ahem, romantic situation. The most excitement we had with ours was some nose picking / eating. Gross!

We used Churchill as our tour operator also and thought they did a fantastic job. Nice that you got a cooking lesson from Ether!

Wasn't the forest walk at Ngamba amazing? Giving Pasa a piggy-back ride was something I'll never forget.

Search this Thread