Notices

Churchill Safari

Old Feb 1st, 2014, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Churchill Safari

Hi,
I've been in contact with Churchill Safari about a gorilla safari this coming August, based on a recommendation from this forum. Has anyone else used Churchill? We would likely use their 'luxury' package which they describe as 3-5 star properties. Any experience with that?They also supply a single driver/guide, whereas I've read on this forum several trip reports that suggest that other outfits have 2 people, a driver AND a guide. Do you think that makes a difference?
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 06:50 PM

I looked into using Churchill for a prospective trip to Uganda before changing gears and opting for another destination. The majority of my research was done at the TripAdvisor forums. The company gets excellent reviews and at least one very seasoned Africa veteran whose opinion I value used them. I would think one driver who knows his business would be sufficient.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 12:25 PM

Used Churchill for two safaris (May 2012 and September 2013). Had great time on both trips. Had same guide, Brighton, both times. Very pleased with him. Have not checked out the package you mentioned so can not comment. Am okay with single staff member as driver/guide. Maybe with second person we might have spotted more birds but maybe also costs would have increased as well. On trips to southern Tanzania at times we had two staffers with us and it did give the guide more latitude in spotting game.

With longer road trips in Uganda simply to get from park to park with two staff members might have also increased gabbing between them with less focus on us.

Should we be fortunate to go to Uganda again, I would not hesitate to use Churchill Safaris.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 01:12 PM

Never used Churchill, but there vehicles are all over. If the prime purpose is gorillas, there is no need for 2 people. Not much game spotting going to/from the park where the gorillas are located. I've never had a driver and a spotter for Rwanda or Uganda. Just one is typical. Have fun.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies...very helpful.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM

I've used Churchill and had a good experience, but I do think some of their guides are better than others. I met Brighton and wish we'd been traveling with him, for example. There are other good companies, and tripadvisor has a lot of different reports. But for sure, you'll be fine with one guide. It's often the case that they are turning you over to another guide anyway (for gorillas and chimps) and there really isn't a need for another spotter or guide in the car for those long bumpy rides.