Christmas Itinerary 2005 Help Please

Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
danika

Christmas Itinerary 2005 Help Please

We are a family of five--three boys ages 10,12 and 14 going to Kenya at Christmas. I am struggling over our itinerary. Comments please, time is getting short!
This is my plan so far. Am I going to too many places!
Arrive NBO Dec 27

Overnight in Nairobi and leave Dec 28 for Masai Mara. Stay in the Mara at the lodge or Fig Tree camp for 4 nights ie Dec 28,29,30 31.

Leave Dec 31 for Amboseli through Nairobi. Stay in Amboseli Dec 31, Jan 1, Jan 2

Leave Jan 3 to stay one night in Tsavo West enroute to Mombasa. Stay Jan 3 in Tsavo West

Leave Jan 4 to Mombasa. Stay in Mombasa Jan 4, 5,

Leave Mombasa via air to Lamu. Arrive Lamu Jan 6, and stay in Lamu Jan 6, 7, 8, and 9

Leave Lamu Jan 10 for Nairobi (air). Fly out of Nairobi late on Jan 11 (really the 12th)

I think I am going to trim down the Mara and Lamu by one night and stay in Samburu for two nights.

Should I skip the stop near Mombasa? Has anyone taken the train from Nairobi lately?

Thanks!

Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:11 PM

Dear Danika,

Without really being able to comment on where you are actually staying, I do have this to say. In May 2000, I took two nieces, aged 8 & 10 to Kenya and South Africa for 3 weeks. We lost a few days travelling from Australia both ways, but we stayed at Oolanana in the Mara, an older tented camp at Samburu, at least 1 night in Nairobi, a night in Port Elizabeth, at Shamwari game reserve in South Africa and then a few nights in Cape Town. For me and the kids, way too many places, as you lose too much time travelling - Shamwari & Port Elizabeth were done very last minute as we were supposed to go to Zimbabwe, but the political situation was unfavourable and having kids with me made me change my itinerary about 5 days before we left Australia. I will have my 9th trip gameviewing this December, and I now limit the places to between 1 and 3 and all within relatively easy travelling distance, the older nieces like a variety, the younger ones are happy in the same spot and I am happy in the same spot, and I just hate losing gameviewing time.

So yes I think too many places, a mistake a lot of people make trying to see as many things as possible.

I really liked Samburu and Mara, not huge herds of animals, but as a first experience, a really good variety.

Good luck on your completed itinerary!

Kaye

Search this Thread