Christmas in Capetown

Aug 31st, 2001, 01:40 AM
Cheryl

Christmas in Capetown

Our family will be in Capetown for Christmas. Any ideas on how best to spend Christmas Day?

Aug 31st, 2001, 05:13 AM
local

Picnic basket to Kirstenbosch botanical gardens

Easy drive through the Cape Peninsula and Boland areas and lunch at any of the wine farms around Paarl, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, etc. (my recommendation)

Swim in the sea at any of the beaches (water at Bloubergstrand and Melkbosstrand is very cold but you have nice views of Table Mountain) - your drive could include these beaches.

I can not think of anything else at the moment but you certainly got me thinking - we have not made plans as yet - maybe must go and visit the folks!

Oh yes, where ever you go, there are going to be lots of people so advance bookings are crucial! Also check if the places, eg Kirstenbosch, are open - many places close for Christmas Day.

Aug 31st, 2001, 07:47 AM
Lisa

It depends if you want ot attend any Church services or not.
Beaches get very crowded. So we have found that going to Boulders Beach near Simonstown and swimming and suntanning with the penguins is our favorite way of spending Christmas Day. It is a nature reserve so there is an entry fee but is slightly less crowded. Get there failry early and take a picnic.

Search this Thread