Notices

Christmas & New Year's in Ghana

Nov 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Christmas & New Year's in Ghana

We are going to Ghana for a wedding and will be there from 12/19 until 1/1. We are excited about a once-in-a-lifetime trip, spending the holidays in a different culture, and being hosted for our entire stay. We will spend time in Accra, the wedding is in Takoradi and we have been assured of opportunities to visit other parts of the country. Any advice on what to expect during our trip, or suggestions for places to go/things to do while there will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Nov 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM

The coastal forts are a short drive from Accra, and while in Cape Coast, you can drive to Hans Botel (a hotel/restaurant hovering above a lake that has crocodiles) for a decent lunch.
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Great country....great people. If you do a search, you will notice that I have written quite a bit on Ghana. I was there Dec 2003/Jan 2004 and Dec 2004/Jan 2005. I liked it so much until I went back. I've been on the continent of Africa 4 times since 1982...Ghana was my favorite place.

You must go up to Elmina to the slave castle and also outside of Accra in nearby Temi...I think it is...are all of the coffin shops with coffins made into anything that one wants....animal shapes...cars...whatever. It's quite interesting. The shops are on the side of the road. There's also W.E.B. DuBois' home near Accra which is quite interesting.

The fun of Ghana is just watching the people and life go by. And what's great is that it's not a tourist-overrun place. Happy Travels!
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I have made several wonderful trips to West Africa but none to Ghana, so cannot give first-hand info. But a short article in the current Travel Africa magazine mentions the Widnaba region as being one of the favorite African destinations of one of its regular readers. Here is what I found about this area:

http://www.ghanaexpeditions.com/regi...p?id=&rdid=372

Search this Thread