Christmas and New Year in Egypt

Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Christmas and New Year in Egypt

I will be spending New Year's Eve in Cairo and would be grateful if anyone could suggest where and how to celebrate it.

New Year's Day is a public holiday but do the tourist attractions close on that day, eg museum, pyramids. Also does public transport run.

I will be in Luxor for the Coptic Christmas and would be interested in attending a service in a Coptic Church. Does anyone know how it is celebrated and can they recommend a church in Luxor?

Also for those who have recently been to Luxor, is Nefetari's tomb in the Valley of the Queens open to the public. I know they closed it to the public for restoration but has it since opened?

Thank you for any help.

Kathy
Jan 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM

Kathy, How did things go for New Years in Cairo? I am planning now to be there New Years Eve 2004 and have found the Nile cruises want $150 per person more for some gala dinner and similar at the Mena House. Were the sites open over the Holiday? Any suggestions? Hope you had a great trip.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Stellarson,

I was in Egypt for Christmas and New Year and have just return 10 days ago. For Christmas we spent it in Cairo and at our hotel, the Four Seasons, they had a special Christmas dinner in one section of the restaurant and a seafood buffet in the other section. Not many takers for the Christmas dinner and most of the guests opt for the seafood buffet(at no extra surcharge). For New Year we were on the Nile cruiser "Sun Boat 4" and the event they arrange on New Year's eve was great and worth the extra surcharge. Some cocktails on the house, the a la carte dinner was better than normal(better quality food), party gifts for all and the party after was great.

As for the sites, we were anchored in Luxor for the New Year's eve and day and everything was open. For Christmas everything(sites, pyramids etc) was also open in Cairo.

Lastly, great time of year to go weather wise. Quite a big crowd at most sites but we did everything in time.

Hope this help.

Search this Thread