Search

chosing a tour company

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chosing a tour company

Im planning to take my family of four (two adults and two teens) to Africa for Safari in August - would I be better off in South Africa or Kenya? could anyone recommend a touring company that has excellent guides and solid organization?This is a once in a lifetime experience and I want it to be a quality one. I have heard that Abacrombie and Kent are the best, but I'm sure there might be others equally good which are less expensive. I know it is late for an AUgust trip but that is why I need a good operator.

Thanks-

Janet
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM

August is peak season in Kenya with the highest prices, though admittedly there are those who can do a trip at lower cost than A&K, if there is even space available at this late date. Besides, the A&K trips are usually "group" departures and if you want "private" even more costly. Even a "good operator" is likely to run into "no room at the inn."

August however is mid or low-season in South Africa and you'd probably get more bang for your buck, whether with A&K (always expensive) or another outfitter.

I'd focus on SA at this late date, rather than be disappointed and/or frustrated trying to find space in Kenya.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Friendlyplanet.com

For great prices on travelzoo.com

Five star hotels game drives upscle experience from $1795 including air

Porini.com ecocamps pricer but nice to be in the bush

AK good for luxury lots more might take some bids on

Zicasso.com

happy Travels!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:12 AM

We've had excellent experiences with 2Afrika in Botswana and South Afrika, and are going back to Kenya and Tanzania with them in September. It's a pretty limited survey, as while we are experienced travelers, we were first timers to Afrika, and so have no real direct comparison with other safari operators. However, we felt they really looked after us, we were treated very much as an individual couple, with great personal service, and had zero complaints,. They were also price competitive, which is important for us.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Hi Janet ,

If you are looking for once in a life time experience , then there is no any other destination in Africa that can offer you such like Kenya between mid July and October . Here you will be for the first time be able to experience the seventh wonder of the modern world , the Wildebeest Migration in the Maasai Mara . This is the greatest wildlife spectacle on the planet earth , just the best experience for the family . A&K could be way too expensive and as mentioned above , they have group departures which means you join others and their existing itinerary . www.villagelifesafari.com depart with a minimum of two persons and a maximum of six every morning . They have family safaris or request and very flexible on time . Other attractions in Mt. Kenya NP , Amboseli , Bogoria , Naivasha and the climax of every safari is the wildebeest migration in the Maasai mara National PARK .
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Either South Africa or Kenya would offer a great family safari. Availability will be tougher in Kenya at this late date.

Here's what I would do. Contact A&K if that is who you are partial to and ask about both Kenya and South Africa. I saw on their website they do "Family South Africa" and they have several Kenya safaris, including a "Family" trip. The SA Family had a "request price" and the Kenya family trip at about $625 per person per day. A&K is your priciest option.

Then I'd contact a company like 2Afrika, as mentioned above, which has some low cost trips, to compare. I'd also recommend The Africa Adventure Company in Ft. Lauderdale. I've done numerous trips with them and all has gone well. When problems did occur that were beyond their control, they always stepped in so that everything ran smoothly again. AAC is generally less expensive than A&K and they do family safaris. One other option is to contact a company like AndBeyond that has properties in both Kenya and South Africa. I've used them and was very pleased with their Phinda Reserve, a cheetah sanctuary in South Africa. I would think AndBeyond's pricing would be closer to A&K.

You can also go with companies that specialize just in Kenya or Southern Africa, but initially since you are debating between two different destinations, I'd choose a company that can offer both for better comparisons.

If the wildebeest migration as described above is a goal, then you'll have to go with Kenya. If you'd like some variety of activities for your teenagers, then South Africa can offer the most. For example Phinda had a program of 7 days of 7 activities. I did a canoe trip, rhino tracking, and cultural activities in addition to regular game drives, but there are other activities such as walking safaris, aerial safaris, etc. If you include Cape Town in SA, which is easy to do, you can take a boat to see the Great White Sharks (Aug is perfect timing) and even go cage diving, which is very safe.

In East Africa it is more common and less expensive to have a private safari for just your family. But with 4, the extra you would pay to cover the seats that could have been used for others, may still be within your budget--especially if you were thinking A&K costs.

Because it is mid-June and you're looking for an August departure, I'd start calling or emailing A&K, 2Afrika, The Africa Adventure Company, and AndBeyond TODAY.

Good luck.