Choosing lodge in South Luangwa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a September 2009 trip to South Luangwa that isn't going to break the bank.

At the moment, Kafunta and Nkwali don't look to bad. Does anyone have any views on these please?

I have been to South Luangwa previously and stayed at Luangwa River Lodge and Kaingo.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Actually just double checked and Nkwali might be too expensive...

That dollar rate is killing us in the UK!
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Try flat dogs - http://www.flatdogscamp.com/ very good value
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM

If you don't mind rolling the dice, research your ideal camps, wait a few months. My money says that we will start to see some real deals by then.

There have always been some beds available in Sept as late as a few weeks in advance at some good camps- I helped a couple people get into some 'top bush camps' just months ago. It will be far easier next year.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM

How many people are usually put in the FlatDogs vehicles if you stay at the camp and are not part of an overland trip that is just stopping there?

How about on the walks? How many people go on those? Thanks.

Lynneb, how was the hippo hide at Kaingo? Sorry if I asked you that upon your return when you did your report.

I've stayed at Nkwali, Tafika, and Kakuli. Liked them all and would return to any. I really enjoyed Aubrey at Kakuli and went there because I had met him before. The personal service surrounding game activities at Tafika is excellent. I saw the most animals at Nkwali.

I think they are all in the same price range.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Lynneb,

I was recently at Kafunta (just last month). I'm working on a trip report that will include them (Part 2 of my Zambia trip) and hope to have it posted in a week or so. I also have a bit of info on Nkwali from that trip. If you need an earlier opinion, you can email me at rick dot mck at hotmail dot com
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

I am considering just booking some flights and then keeping our fingers crossed but I've never done that before.

I guess we could book flights to JNB instead of Lusaka, we would then at least have a lot of options re destination. (I'm using miles to book our flights and that's why we have to book these now).

atravelynn
The hippo hide was great. I would have gone back for a second day but there are other afternoon activities that you can do at Kaingo and you sometimes have to fit in with other guests. If there are particular things you want do in the afternoons then it's best to let Kaingo know when you arrive.

Rickmck - thanks, I'll drop you a line.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Good hint, Lynneb.

Are the other afternoon activities walks and drives at Kaingo, or is there something else too?
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

As well as the hippo hide, there's a carmine bea eater hide (not in operation when we there but apparently very good).

Elephant hide (where you can also sleep at night).

We visited the ebony forest one afternoon - a beautiful, shady place to visit and a good afternoon option.

There weren't any walks offered when we were there but they do offer them and I'm sure there are other activities available too.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM

You sold me LynneB, I'm signing up.

Whatever month the carmine bee eater hide is in operation in the year 2013, I'm there. That's assuming the world economy has not collapsed and I must vacation at my mother's birdfeeder instead.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Dear Atravelynn. The carmine birds go the Zambia in September. My friend plus I camped at Wildlifecamp and we met people who went to the bushcamp of wildlifecamp and the carmine birds were there all the time. the nests were in front of the tents! we did not go there - our budget was small - but the took great photographs and said it was the best. they also walked a lot with a scout and saw lions.