Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Choosing between Savanna Private Game Reserve and Exeter River Lodge
Notices

Choosing between Savanna Private Game Reserve and Exeter River Lodge

Jun 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Choosing between Savanna Private Game Reserve and Exeter River Lodge

After looking at a few lodges in Sabi Sand Game Reserve I was shocked as to how expensive the accomodations are. We are four adults with no children traveling in
January and have only 3 nights before returning home after a cruise. We are considering
either Savanna Private Game Reserve or Exeter River Lodge. If anyone has stayed
at these lodges I would really appreciate your thoughts or other ideas. I am really confused and don't want to make the wrong choice when we only have such little time.

Thx
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM

I haven't stayed at either of these properties, only visited River Lodge last year when staying at its sister lodge, Dulini. It is lovely and I daresay the other one is too. Sabi Sand is the place to go to see the largest variety of wildlife in the shortest amount of time: thus the prices. Given the brief length of your stay I doubt you can go wrong with either. Did you know that the &beyond properties (Exeter River) have a stay 4 night pay for 3 special?
Jun 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Why only those two options? This website has them all - with prices, traversing rights (see map) and pics.

http://www.sabisand.co.za/

You could choose Mala Mala as well.
Jun 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM

I haven't stayed at the other but I can vouch for Exeter River Lodge. We had a splendid guide and found leopard sightings particularly excellent. There's a pack of wild dogs in the area but we did not get lucky with them (they had denned on neighboring private land. But we saw the Big Five easily and the accomodations were spacious and pretty plush. We did the three nights stay a fourth for free...

Here is the photo album from our stay including some of the rooms etc...hope it's helpful...sometimes pictures are worth a bunch of words...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=8687434bd6

I just don't see how you could go wrong based on our experience. (this was two summers ago)

Search this Thread