choosing a tour operator

Apr 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

choosing a tour operator

my wife and i are planning to go to tanzania and/or keyna for 2 to 3 weeks in the fall. we saw A&K's 'Wings over the Migration' tour but the price was $9100/pp and i would like to spend a fair amount less. also, my wife has a bad back and, when we get off paved roads, needs to lie down in bumpy moving vehicles. we thought we would fly between locations, but are worried about the transportation at camps as well as getting to the camps from airports. we would appreciate feedback about: 1) whether she would be able to lie down in the back seat of the private and camp vehicles while we are moving, 2) how bumpy is it, 3) i have seen a couple of suggested tour operators, such as Roy, TSA and OAT, but haven't seen web addresses for them - can someone provide them? 4) we would really like to see the migration but am not sure the best time to see it, 5) i have trouble with temperatures above 85 degrees F - how does this affect where we go or when we go? thanks,
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Mike:

We are going to East Africa (Kenya) for the first time in August. There are other Fodorites much more expert than I. However, I can tell you we had very competitive quotes from African Serendipity in the U.S. and Southern Cross and Eastern and Southern based in Kenya. We went with Southern Cross. I suspect the Migration may still be in the Mara in Southwest Kenya in early Fall so might be a good way to go. We are flying from Nairobi to Samburu to the Mara, and then to Lamu Island via Nairobi. We picked such route primarily because we could fly from place to place.
web links are as follows:

http://www.africaserendipity.com/

http://www.southerncrosssafaris.com/

http://www.essafari.co.ke/

Good Luck,

Kevin from California
Apr 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
sandi

Besides the fact that the A&K Wings over the Migration costs $10,280/person (not $9,100, as you didn't include the internal air) it's not a very good itinerary for the Fall. Especially, the stop at Kusini which is in the southern Serengeti which is pretty void of game at that time or year. A&K is also offering a group departure so there will be others traveling with you. How much room there will be for your wife to lie down is anyones guess.

Though this is a fly safari, there is lots of driving from the airstrip which on bumpy land in/near the reserves to be visited; then a bumpy drive to the camp. All the game drives will be on bumpy roads. There aren't many paved roads you can count on and other than some recent newly paved roads, the others might as well not be... they're potholed and bumpy.

Camp vehicles will vary, with some maybe having a back seat across the rear of the vehicle, but this is often where the tracker sits. If you can find an available back seat, it still will not be all that comfortable... one can easily roll off onto the floor.

Temperature during fall will vary depending on where you are. October would be like spring in the northern hemisphere where the nights will be warming (but not hot). Daytime temps can range from 60-80/degrees (can be higher) depending on where you are. Just as no one can guarantee exactly where game will be found, can anyone be definite about the weather.

With the amount of bouncing around, and lack of comfort on game drives this might not be a good choice for your vacation. You wife's condition might very well worsen if she's not at ease and tenses her body with every bump in the road.

But, if you decide to go ahead with your plans, Roys and TSA can offer private trips in your own vehicle; OAT does group departures and needed space may be limited for comfort. Your prices from any of these will certainly be less than A&Ks.

Apr 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

sandi and stakerk,

thank you so much for the info. sandi, especially, seems to have the most valuable knowledge about this area (i have seen your postings elsewhere) and have learned a great deal from each one of them. i'm not sure that we will go but, if we do, we will be well prepared. thanks again.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Jed

A&K is a VERY expensive way to go. We went with them to Kenya.

Check out http://www.journeys-intl.com/, http://www.internationalexpeditions.com/, among others.

There are no roads in Tanzania, just potholes.

Search this Thread