Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Chobe Safari Lodge/Jock Safari Lodge ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/chobe-safari-lodge-jock-safari-lodge-318155/)

cirish67 May 18th, 2003 10:06 AM

Chobe Safari Lodge/Jock Safari Lodge ??

I am looking at 2 trips from go2africa.com in September: one is going to Chobe Safari Lodge for 4 nights-anyone experience there? The agent said that I won't see the Big Five there. We then were spending one day in Victoria Falls. The other trip is to Jock SL. We are then going to Cape Town. The price is around $1300 which includes all air from J'Burg. I would love any suggestions. We want to stay in that price range and definately would love to see the Big Five. We don't need any luxury accomodations. Thanks.

sandi May 18th, 2003 01:12 PM

The air from JNB to VFA is about $300 r/t, so the balance is your accommodations and transfers; this is a good price.
When we were at Chobe we stayed at Chilwero which I have to admit is a step above Chobe SL, but well worth it!
As to whether you see the Big Five or not, there is no guarantee what you will see. As I mentioned in another post, Chobe is known for its' large elephant herds (there are over 30,000) and we only saw three.
I also think 4-days is

sandi May 18th, 2003 01:15 PM

sorry about that, hit the wrong key.
Was saying that- 4-days might be too long at one camp in a single eco-environment, but if that is the only safari you are doing then you have a good deal.
I'm not familiar with Jock's SL, so can't comment.

DE May 18th, 2003 04:54 PM

For Sandi,

You mention that you stayed at Chobe Chilwero Lodge. How did you find the accommodations and food etc. along with the wildlife you mentioned. Also what other activities did you do beside game drives while there. Did you happen to do a day trip to Victoria Falls, etc and what activities would you especiallly recommend someone do. We have plenty of time there to do a variety of things. Thanks.

sandi May 19th, 2003 05:49 AM

Message for DE

Re Chilwero - we flew from JNB into VFA where we spent 1-night, in late afternoon did sunset cruise which was fun, not a slick yacht, rather a flat bottom boat, but lots of interesting people. Next morning we did the Falls tour. By 11am were on road to Botswana, transfering at immigration to another vehicle for short ride to Chilwero.
Chilwero is new, redone by A&K about two years ago. Each accomm is an A-frame house with large king-size bed (where two 3/4 (46") beds together with custom size linen). Mosquito netting runs around track on headboard and is very very romantic. The main room is about 20' by 30'. Behind the bed is a sitting area small, but comfy and outside your own private garden.
The bathroom is lovely with sunken tub, indoor and outdoor shower (best shower head indoors), dressing table with hairblower, two wash bowls, separate room with commode.
Of course, you had your own small deck outside and you face the Savuti river.
The main entry rooms are lovely and the dining room presents great meals, and will prepare anything you wish. I'm not a fish eater, so they prepared a great pasta dish. Breakfasts are usual egg, cereals, fruits, yougurts, the usual.
Did game drive afternoon on arrival, next morning went out (and I usually don't do 6:30am game drives), but it started to rain and even with rainslickers we weren't too happy, returned to camp early, and we didn't see too many animals, they're smart enough to get out of the rain.
After breakfast went to the Crocodile Farm, interesting! Then drove into Kasana, with some shops, looked around. A new hotel going up across the road, which my sweetie got to see later in afternoon when they went out on boad on Savuti and came to the hotel from the waterside. I passed on the afternoon as jetlag caught up with me and I slept thru dinner till the next morning. Sweetie went out on morning drive,I passed on it.
But the camp is lovely, excellent food, and the camp managers and especially the Rangers were great.
We then returned to VFA, had fee afternoon before 4pm flight, so we did some shopping. It was a very very hot afternoon, and glad to finally get to airport,though not a/c, the departure hall is.
Do remember that SAA does spray the plan leaving from VFA back to JNB, highly perfumed, but still has those chemicals - I hid out in the lav while attendent was doing this.
Enjoy your trip.

DE May 19th, 2003 09:05 AM

For Sandi,

Thank you so much for the excellent info on the Lodge etc. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I am sure we will enjoy our stay there. Actually we will be leaving directly from Chobe ( via small plane ) to our next destination which is Kings Pool. Will fortunately miss on the plane spray at this time but I'm sure will get it later on at some point. That was a good idea to hide out in the toilet while they sprayed. I have read that they don't give any warning when they are about to do this.

pattysuericia May 19th, 2003 09:10 AM

De-they don't give any warning-hope you have a ball,bon voyage

c4k May 23rd, 2003 12:00 AM

We have recently returned from Chobe and Vic Falls (SA residents) and highly recommend both. You can purchase package deals in SA as we did (not just for local residents!) which amounted to R3000 pp for a return flight Cape Town to Vic Falls with three nights accommodation including breakfasts at the newly revamped Kingdom Hotel. Very impressive. This would amount to approximately $375! We then took a taxi for the 80km drive to Chobe for 3 days. Also great, mainly elephant and game not the big 5. I would highly recommend not booking any trips until you are in SA as it appears that you are paying a premium booking overseas. I can put you into contact with local travel agents who can supply quotes. Trust this helps and enjoy your plans!

Filipa May 23rd, 2003 01:30 AM

Russel,

Where you stay in Chobe?

pattysuericia May 23rd, 2003 06:51 PM

Hi C4K-That's good advice and what my friends who live there told me. I found it much better booking once I was there although to be truthful,they did everything plus lots on our own. It certainly helps when you are with the locals.

I know some other people that left with just 2 reservations at 2 specific accommodations & just did everything upon their arrival in SA and had a memorable trip.