Chobe River Cruise

Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Chobe River Cruise

I'm considering a stay in Chobe and a sunset river cruise for a 2006 trip. I did this in 1997 with a mobile camping trip and it was great, but it was just us (6 or 7) in a small motor boat that was arranged for us and we were very focused on wildlife.

If I were to stay at budget-minded Chobe Safari Lodge, do you know how many passengers their sunset cruise boat takes?

Or should I book the sunset river cruise elsewhere?

I thought I heard or read somewhere (maybe here) that the sunset cruises can turn into just a social party time rather than a wildlife centered excursion. I definitely don't want that. What have been your experiences?

Thanks!

Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM

I did much the same as you in 1996 while with a small group on a mobile safari. The package included a river cruise from one of the Chobe lodges (I've forgotten which). We had the boat, a medium-sized outboard-powered craft, to ourselves. Perhaps lodge guests can make small group bookings too. Large numbers can increase the possibility of the cruise becoming some kind of social event.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM

When I stayed at the Chobe Game Lodge, there were less than 6 on our river cruise, so it was very much focused on wildlife viewing, but I did see some more crowded boats, more focused on partying than game watching.

I would think the smaller the boat the better.

Michael
Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM

We rode the evening boat at Chobe Safari Lodge last month. I'd guess around 30 or 40 people. Definitely wildlife-oriented. Sit in the bow and the view is great. You can also book small boat tours at CSL, so play it by ear. The big boat has a loo, FWIW.

Search this Thread