Search

Cottars 1920 camp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cottars 1920 camp

Has anyone stayed at Cottars Camp recently and offer comment ? In particular some web reviews mention a small plunge / swimming pool amd some don't ....
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:11 AM
sandi

philw -

We stayed at Cottar's at the beginning of June and had a wonderful time. We were thee people, using two of their six tents. One was a double with twin beds, the other a single with a king size bed.

At that time (end of low-season) we were the only guests and had the place to ourselves. The tents are lovely and large, there was plenty of hot water, the food was excellent as was the dining tent with candle lit candelabra. The property is well maintained, tents are very private from one another and the views into Tanzania quite amazing.

As to a pool... if there is one, we never saw it, nor was any mention made to it.

However, there was a post recently by a women who stayed at the camp (believe it was during July or August) as a single, who had some issues here.

I would suggest you search in the box on the top of this board for "Cottar's Camp" and see if you can find her comments, as well as any others. Though I don't believe any mention anything about a pool. Ask your tour operator/outfitter specifically, or email Cottars directly.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Unless it is really really hot while you are there, you may not care to use a pool -- oops, just realised you are talking about Tanzania, and it's proximity to the equator will mean it should be fairly hot regardless of the season my bad!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Philw, a plunge pool is mentioned in the Bradt guide, but not on the Cheli & Peacock website. It’s a small camp and it’d be strange if Sandi hadn’t seen the pool. Is a pool a plus or a minus? On safari I prefer other sounds than people splashing around and screaming in a pool. And, depending on the season, you might not feel like using a pool.

LadyOLeisure, it’s Kenya and very close to the equator, but the altitude can make it quite chilly.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
sandi

philw -

Further about weather/pool. Depending on when you wish to travel and what areas of Kenya and/or Tanzania you will be visiting - varies quite a bit.

Though both countries are situated on/near the Equator, seasons can throw off the temperatures, as well as the altitude at which you are situated.

At high altitudes, where many parks and their lodgings are located, can be quite chilly in the mornings and evenings. This is especially so during their "winter" months of July thru Sept. While in the "summer" months Jan - Mar are downright hot on the plains at lower altitude.

As an example: the Equator itself runs right through the Mt.Kenya Safari Club - it's at 0 latitude, but because of the altitude here... where they do have a pool... the days are lovely, but the nights (on one of our visits) can be downright cold. So cold, that even some of the Masai dancers were wearing "socks" during their outdoors evening entertainment. It was kind of funny seeing this, but hey, if it's cold, you do what you've gotta do. A good reason the MKSC has wonderful fireplaces in their Cottage rooms.

So, depending on when you're visiting and where in these countries, a pool isn't necessarily a plus or even needed.

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Sandi

Pure quantity of game is not the main purpose of this trip as we were seriously spoilt in August at Mara and Samburu Serena ... however....what was the game viewing like at Cottars in June ? We are thinking of going in late February and I guess it wil be similar to June as migration does not usually arrive until July.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM
sandi

phil -

I wish I could tell you what the game was like. Hard to believe, but I never went out on a game drive during our 2-days here. The other two went out on drives and mentioned that game was relatively sparse.

But, we did have a salt-lick right outside our tent and could see animals coming to drink... and where there are animals, predators weren't far behind. In fact, one evening as we were finishing our brandies, the Masai came running in saying "the lions are here, the lions are here." There went 6-grown adults outside with some very powerful high beams with which we were able to spot about 4-6 lions who happened to be right outside of our sleeping tent.

Sure, we saw them at a distance, and event walked back to our tents shortly after... with an askari, of course. However, the following morning as I was drinking my coffee outside of my tent I could hear the lion growls. Heard it three time, at which point considering I couldn't see anything or knew where Simba might be - went inside.

Also, visiting here beginning of June, the grasses were quite high at this end of the Mara (the rains just about finishing), so it was difficult to spot those in the bush... but we did along our way to/from Cottars (arrival/departure), some cats, ostrich, giraffe, elephant, hyena, zebra and some wildies... not alot when compared to July - October.

Can't tell you any more. Animals can't be guaranteed, nor can weather.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Cottars pool will be complete ny mid December.
They do however take guests to a rock pool in a stream nearby for a cooling plunge.