Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   "Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History" (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/chimpanzees-an-unnatural-history-656716/)

divewop Nov 3rd, 2006 11:59 AM

"Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History"

FYI- this Sunday (11/5) on PBS

http://www.pbs.org/previews/nature-chimps/

We enlisted them in the space race and the fight against AIDS; we trained them to entertain us in the circus, in Hollywood and on TV. With almost 99 percent of the same DNA as humans, chimpanzees are genetically closer to us than they are to gorillas. But their treatment in America over the last half-century has been surprisingly unkind for our next of kin in the animal world.

These chimpanzees' stories, along with the remarkable efforts by individuals and organizations to give them a second chance at a life of freedom, are told in "Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History," which kicks off NATURE's 25th anniversary season. The program airs on PBS Sunday, November 5, 2006, 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET.

PredatorBiologist Nov 3rd, 2006 12:23 PM

Thanks Divewop -- that sounds very interesting.

Bonobos are also just as related to us too and we have almost eliminated them but unlike us and chimps they are not violent channeling tension into sex instead. We definitely behave more like the chimps. I'll have to set my TiVo.

cooncat3 Nov 3rd, 2006 12:53 PM

I'm not sure I will be able to stomach this one...

cooncat3 Nov 3rd, 2006 01:02 PM

divewop - no offense intended - just want to make that clear. Good that you posted. I just get too emotional about some of this stuff. :-(

aby Nov 3rd, 2006 01:14 PM

Hi

Lately, there have been lots of publications on these Ethical aspects, also by Philosophers etc'. The human race is discussing this issue;
not only concerning Chimps who have self-consciousness, but non self-consiencous creatures as well....

but do not forget
We (mankind) conduct experiments on prisoners, Some medical firms conduct field tests on 3rd world people
(e.g. i've had evidence in the 80s of a once-a-month anti-pregnancy pill that has been given to Samburu women in Kenya, having severe side-effects )

&amp; a country (future host of olympics) is said to be using organs from death-sentenced <i>Homo sapiens</i> for trans-planting. Sometimes organs (e.g. kidneys) are taken from <b> live</b> prisoners...

Why 'should' we treat animals better than humans??

(please do not misunderstand my last question)

aby

divewop Nov 3rd, 2006 01:16 PM

No offense taken Cooncat.:-)

I get really emotional, too, about this stuff. And I'm sure I'll have some Kleenex nearby when watching this.
But it's good to know that at least some of these guys found a safe haven at sometime in their life.

In general, it's a shame that all 4 of the great ape species (gorillas, orangs, chimps &amp; bonobos) suffer so much at the hands of man.

If we're not careful, we're going to completely wipe out our closely related cousins sooner than later. :'(

Aby-
It's disgusting how humans treat each other too. I guess in some instances, humans 'think' they can rationalize or justify their actions no matter how &quot;inhumane&quot; they may be.
The only difference I see, (and please don't take this the wrong way anyone) is that humans aren't on the verge of extinction as many of our fellow animal species are.

It doesn't justify how we treat each other but if we, as humans who are overpopulating the world while sometimes acting like barbarians, can't treat each other with more respect, where do we go from here?

Good questions to ponder. I'm sure if anyone has the answers, they'd be a sure contender for the nobel prize.

Sandy

atravelynn Nov 3rd, 2006 02:32 PM

Thank you for alerting us.

lisa Nov 3rd, 2006 03:13 PM

cool...
and looks like next week's is on lions!

divewop Nov 7th, 2006 06:47 AM

Did anyone get to see this?

Ours in ATL was pre-empted by some &amp;%$@#( gubernatorial debate.

Where were their priorities??!!

bellastarr Nov 7th, 2006 07:11 AM

This is my first post on the Africa Forum-
but i saw the Chimpanzee Documentary on Sunday and it was excellent.

I get the impression from reading some of these posts that the extensive information it offered would be too upsetting. There were some heart wrenching stories, as well as some moving ones.

If anyone is interested, I know you can order tapes of any PBS show directly.

cybor Nov 7th, 2006 08:01 AM

Same here, we got bumped by the chimps with lesser intelligence (debates) as well. Can't wait til the elections are over.
Although, I'm not sure if I could have watched if there was too much heartwrenching stuff.

cooncat3 Nov 7th, 2006 08:31 AM

Well... I watched it last night. We have two PBS stations and it reran last night. I missed about the first 10 minutes. I cried like a baby, some of it happy tears. It was very moving to see what these people are doing to give former lab and entertainment chimps a half decent life for what remains of it. But the reminder of what they had been through. And the fact that some had never lived outside a cage. It can be too much to think about.

As is often the case when seeing this stuff, I went to bed sickened at the reminder of what we do to our animal friends. And yes, I am aware that we owe our health and potential for a long life to many such experiments... I feel a lecture coming on and and ensuing debate. Right or wrong, from a very young age I've always sided with the animals.... So I'll just leave it at that. &lt;sigh&gt;

divewop Nov 7th, 2006 11:39 AM

Cooncat-
No lecture or debate from me. And I too, will leave it at that! :)

Anyway, just checked and for those in the area, it will be rebroadcast on Sunday, Nov. 19 at 8 p.m. and again on the 21st at midnight(for those night owls)

cooncat3 Nov 7th, 2006 04:00 PM

Sandy - I was actually referring to a lecture coming from me! ;-)

divewop Nov 7th, 2006 05:03 PM

Lol
well, with varying opinions of fodorites on topics, I thought you meant a lecture from someone with an opposing viewpoint. :D

cooncat3 Nov 8th, 2006 04:53 AM

...And that would be the aforementioned ensuing debate! :-D

wildebeestus Nov 8th, 2006 12:57 PM

Caught &quot;Chimpanzees: An Unnatural History&quot; on a surf of the channels - what a powerful look at what we have done to decimate this population, along with an uplifting look at what some wonderful, selfless, caring INDIVIDUALS and organizations are doing to set things better. You'll want to watch, and then you'll want to DO something.

divewop Nov 16th, 2006 07:20 AM

I finally caught this on PBS two nights ago. It's taken me since then to be able to post on this HEART-WRENCHING (an understatement) documentary.

I still get upset when thinking about what these chimps went through. The physical and pyschological trauma they endured is beyond comprehension. I cannot believe what we, as humans, did and still do to these animals.

And for the U.S. to be one of the few countries left allowing experiments on chimps is just atrocious to me.

For the compassionate individuals highlighted in the story using their life savings to take on the responsibility of caring for these abused animals, God bless them.

And for these chimps to be able to learn to trust these new caretakers is unbelievable. It speaks volumes.

All I can say is that anyone who has anything close to resembling a heart will be touched by this story.

A must see. Be warned though, it is a definite tear-jerker! :'(