Children Traveling - Botswana Camps?

Apr 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM
KAP
Original Poster

Children Traveling - Botswana Camps?

I am considering taking my 10 year old to South Africia and Botswana this summer for a look at the "Big 5" and to stay in several camps - has anyone taken a child this young and what is your recommendation??? The child has traveled extensively in third-world countries but I do have some additional concerns regarding this part of the world. Comments will be very appreciated...we're planning a late July/August trip.

KAP
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM

There is a thread called "SA safaris with children" - in which Sandi gives a detailed answer. Run a search for that in quotes.
Apr 13th, 2004, 05:07 AM
sandi

KAP -

Thanks Clematis for referring KAP to my previous post, which provides information to consider.

But I would suggest KAP that for whichever camps, whether in SA or Botswana, you must check their "children's policy" - send them an email and inquire. Some welcome children, others don't. And if they are permitted, ascertain if they are indeed allowed on game-drives.

While children are more readily welcomed and encouraged in East Africa (Kenya & Tanzania) - they use closed vehicles with pop-top or flip-top for viewing and photography - in Southern Africa, where open vehicles are used, camps might not want to incur problems with children, such as quick movements, being scared, noises, even crying - so there is a difference between both locations.

Ask specifically so you know the situation, so neither you or your child are disappointed.

Search this Thread