Chikungunya in Mauritius

Feb 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Chikungunya in Mauritius

Hello all,

I was wondering if any experienced travelers can give me advice? My fiance and I are getting married in Mauritius in a few weeks, and I just learned of the Chikungunya Fever outbreak that is spreading to the area (a recent article I read says that there have been two confirmed cases on Mauritius).

I'm just sick over this because we've been planning this wedding for months, everything has been organized and paid for, and we really don't know what to do. We will take all the recommended precautions, but I don't want to spend the entire trip worrying that we may get sick.

Does anyone have any advice to offer? I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if this is truly a serious threat. Any information that anyone has would be very helpful!

Thank you!
Feb 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I think the confirmed cases are somewhere around 40-50,000 now. I would go anyway. You are probably near the ocean where the ocean breezes at dawn and dusk pickup-when mosquitos are most active. You probably have A/C or fans with mosquito netting. My bet also is that the chance of catching it will most likely be in areas away from the coastal areas.
Do a little more research and email the hotel for information and your reservations with this outbreak. travel Insurance?
Feb 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. I've been doing some research on the disease and this particular outbreak, and we've decided to still go. We do have travel insurance in case anything happens, but hopefully we'll be okay with using DEET when we're outdoors. And good point regarding the coast - we will be on the northeast shore where the breeze is usually strongest.

Thank you for your advice!

Search this Thread