Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Chief's Camp in Okavango (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/chiefs-camp-in-okavango-445435/)

larry1257 Oct 8th, 2008 07:24 AM

Chief's Camp in Okavango

We are traveling to Botswana in March and are thinking about Chief's Camp. Has anyone stayed at this camp? What was your experience like? Would you recommend this camp?

Thanks.

Tomsfries Oct 8th, 2008 09:24 AM

Here is a link about Chiefīs Camp:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35079466
Thomas

larry1257 Oct 8th, 2008 09:58 AM

Thanks, Thomas. We've been to the delta in dry season at Camp Okavango, which we loved and will be visiting again on this trip. We wanted to visit this concession via Mombo, but cost has just gotten out of hand. We've heard the game viewing is just fantastic, and wanted one high-end camp in the midst of a 20 day itinerary, so Chief's was mentioned. I'm not surprised by the usual controversies, as we lovers of Africa are very opinionated. (a good thing)

Any more feedback? Specifically about March-April?

Thanks to all.

lisa Oct 8th, 2008 11:37 AM

Larry -- Will be there for 4 days in December and will report on it when we get back.

divine54 Oct 8th, 2008 04:46 PM

we are going to experience chief's in early nov.
i'll be happy to report...
#
div

Georgie2007 Oct 8th, 2008 10:06 PM

Hi larry1257,

We were first time safari goers in 2007 and went to Botswana for three weeks. Our last stop was 3 nights at Chief's camp in mid June and I have to say it was the best game viewing we had for our whole trip. Lions on two kills, leopards, 2 day old elephants, bat eared foxes etc etc and even a wild dog kill in camp. I know there is contoversy about this camp for some reason but we enjoyed it. We made sure our guide Anthony knew we didnt want to waste time at breakfast and high tea and as we were alone in the vehicle most of the time we were the first out and last back. To be honest I couldn't fault it. Maybe people have a problem with the price, which is fair enough but as it was all bundled into the quote we didn't know or think about price.
The rooms are great without being way over the top and the outdoor shower was fabulous.

larry1257 Oct 9th, 2008 04:10 AM

Thanks for the comments. Nice to hear about your guide. In addition to the cost, we've heard many complaints that the staff are uncaring, which, to us, is a startling thing to hear, as virtually every African we've met has been kind and caring to a level unheard of in the US. Wild dog IN CAMP? Fantastic. We sat with a very gregarious pack for about 4 hours in Selous, and it was a highlight.

As we're about 2 days from finalizing our booking, MORE comments are very welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers, All.

Tomsfries Oct 9th, 2008 07:28 AM

Weīve been to Chiefīs Camp in November 2006, I think. Went there just because of the Mombo wildlife reputation, and Mombo Camp being far too expensive for us. To be honest, we didnīt see more wildlife than in any other place in Botswana we went. 3 male lions, some ellies, usual game, in two days. Maybe weīve been just unlucky. But thatīs okay, itīs not a zoo.
We were not happy with our guide and the game drive times. Afternoon game drive we had to be back in Camp by 6.30. After we complained about that, our guide said, as we were in National Park we had to be in camp by that time. Funny that another guide stayed out with his guest until 8.
Food was excellent, if that is a matter, choice between 3 main courses. Best I ever had in the bush.
In the morning before game drive we were sitting on our own table with our guide having full breakfast at 6. Rusty crackers and coffee as usual would have been sufficent. Lost time for game drive, if you ask me.
It seems that they normally have so excellent sightings that there is no need to rush.
For me it looked like that their main focus was on lodging and food. Managers we talked to agreed with that, saying that most guests want it this way.
It is just what you prefer, it is an excellent camp when it comes to food and lodging with poor game viewing times and guiding, but it is just the one guide we had, so donīt know the attitude of the others.
Thomas

richardfh Oct 11th, 2008 08:54 AM

I was there in February of last year. Very much enjoyed my stay there, and would definitely recommend it. The game viewing was very good...

To your point on the staff, I found them excellent. They went out of their way (like most camps do) to provide high quality service.

divine54 Oct 11th, 2008 09:14 AM

larry,
frankly - "experiences" are very much a personal thing.
features like cars, rooms etc (hardware) are relatively good to measure despite there are differences in expectations which also have to be considered when reading posts.

but game and food might differ greatly depending on season, weather, occupancy.

finally - a manafe change can also have great impact on to the overall experience.

div