Chichele in Zambia

Dec 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM
njf
Original Poster

Chichele in Zambia

I was reading one of the earlier threads on safaris in South AFrica, and saw that one poster strongly recommended Chichele. How exactly do you get there from SA? Is it a flight from J'burg and then a drive? About how long is flying/driving time?
Thanks!
Dec 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Chichele is a wonderful destination, as is the entire South Luangwa National Park, and Zambia, as a whole.

Getting to South Luangwa is really a piece of cake, although it does involve a couple transfers from Joburg.

You would be best advised to fly South African Airways or British Airways from Joburg to Lusaka, a 2 hour flight. From there, you would hop on a smaller plane, such as those offered by Airwaves Airlink, for a one hour flight to Mfuwe. The cost for this flight is about $160 per person each way.

From Mfuwe, you are looking at about a drive of just over one hour, mostly on paved roads as you pass through the town of Mfuwe, and then about 20 minutes worth of dirt roads once you enter the park.

Chichele is just one of many fine South Luangwa lodges. Newly opened is Luangwa River Lodge, which may give Chichele a run for its money in terms of luxury. While LRL will lack the views at Chichele, it is situated along the Luangwa River, making wildlife viewing from the lodge better than at Chichele, I would imagine (I am going to LRL next September).

However, one of the nice features of Chichele and its sister camp, Puku Ridge, is the fact that they are located inside the park, which maximizes your gameviewing possibilities, since all vehicles from lodges not located inside the park must exit the park by 8PM.

A good link to explore Zambian game lodges and parks better would be www.zambiatourism.com

Good luck.

Search this Thread