Chiawa Camp Newsletter, October 2005

Oct 12th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Chiawa Camp Newsletter, October 2005

http://www.chiawa.com/pages/newsltr.htm

Dennis, you will be happy to know that most of your game drives at Chongwe will have you in the Chiawa area within about 45 minutes. Seems far, but it passes quickly, especially since you will be playing chicken with elephants for half the drive over.

Alejandra should be in this very area right now, if I am not mistaken.

Dennis, I don't know what you think about tiger fishing, but it is a great experience and you will be able to see plenty of wildlife while out fishing, from elephants crossing the Zambezi River to elephants overhead on high riverbanks above, to more Fish Eagle than you can imagine to hippos, Nile Crocodiles, waterbuck and Cape Buffalo.

I can hardly wait to read a full report from you when you return!
Oct 13th, 2005, 04:29 AM
bwanamitch

As far as I know evening game drives are allowed until 20:00 in the parks.

Generally that means: if during such a game drive you encounter an interesting sighting AND you're staying at a camp INSIDE the park, normally this game drive will be stretched to 20:30 or even 21:00 - and ZAWA won't know about it at all.

If you're staying at a camp OUTSIDE the park, you have to leave the sighting earlier, because your departure time from the park is recorded at the gate.

I don't know if this is true for Chongwe River Lodge (or if they manage to by-pass these regulations), but it's valid for ALL non-park camps in South Luangwa.

Maybe you should tell people about these things, Rocco, when promoting all those locations outside the parks.

Mitch

Oct 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Mitch,

You act as if I am hiding things.

Okay, it pays to have guides that are on great terms with ZAWA. I found that my guide at Kasaka, Morat, and my guides at Chongwe, George and Jodie, were, in fact, on great terms with ZAWA, and they did not feel a need to rush out of the park by 8PM if there were interesting sightings.

Similarly, Victor at Luangwa River Lodge was a senior official at ZAWA, spending 15 years with ZAWA before leaving for the opportunity to guide at Luangwa River Lodge. Although outside the park, there was never this sense of urgency to absolutely be out of the park by 8PM.

Is that clear enough, Mitch?
Oct 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM
bwanamitch

Rocco,

I was surprised to learn that your accommodation recommendations were apparently not only based on personal preferences and experiences but also on more commercial reasons (at least in one case). What I found disturbing was to learn about all this in South Luangwa and not at Fodors.

Mitch

Oct 13th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Strong stuff!
Oct 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
bwanamitch

Rocco,

I was guest for three nights at one of the co-owners of Luangwa River Lodge. And it was no fixation, just talks about safaris and the internet at the camp fire. The rest has already been told...

Regarding my websites you apparently know more than myself, but beside that, I never try to convince other Fodorites that my listings/services are better than others, and I always try to offer all availabe choices.

Mitch

Oct 13th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Rocco- thanks for the info! I'm definitely planning on tiger fishing, used to trout fish in the sierras as a kid, nothing compared to fishing in Hawaii which I don't do, and looking forward to spending a day fishing. I'm also looking forward to all the game drives, inside and outside the parks, at this point it doesn't matter to me as I've never been, but just to be going is what's important and I'm sure it will all be the most amazing adventure of my life! And of course I will post upon return! thanks again Rocco
dennis 4 1/2 days!
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Dennis,

Don't worry one bit. You are going to love Chongwe River Camp. The five best lodges/camps I have yet stayed at, in no particular order are:

Chongwe River Camp
Chichele Presidential Lodge
Singita
Luangwa River Lodge
Simbambili

Remember...Tent #7 or #8 at Chongwe River Camp if you can get one of them. You are in for an incredible time.

Search this Thread