Cheli & Peacock's Mara Camp, not the Mara River Camp

Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Cheli & Peacock's Mara Camp, not the Mara River Camp

Looking for anyone who stayed at Cheli & Peacock's Mara Camp, not to be confused with the Mara River Camp, which is run by the Savannah Group. If anyone has been to the Mara Camp lately, might you tell me about it. How were the accommodations, food, staff, etc? Most important, how were the guides? Knowledgable? Enthusiastic? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:42 AM
sandi

Not familiar with the particular camp, but Cheli & Peacock are excellent safari providers.

The Cheli family has been in Kenya since they migrated from Italy after WWII, when Papa Cheli was asked to start wine growing in Kenya which he has some background from "the old country".

Unlike Isak Dinisen (Out of Africa) he had more luck growing coffee, and many other ventures with which they were involved. Here in Kenya he and his wife raised two boys. The Chelli's own Tortillis at Amboseli where they serve the most amazing Italian dishes outside of Italy. Mama Chelli has taught the staff how to cook these tasteful surprises and grow their own vegetables.

Eventually, Stefano Chelli married Liz Peacock and they've had continuous safari operations for many years now.

Sep 24th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi!

I've stayed at Tortilis and knew it was owned by Cheli & Peacock, so figured it was similar as far as quality of food, etc. But still looking for a first-hand account of anyone who stayed there recently. By the way, had you heard the Mara River Camp closed? Apparently due to lack of business. I am not sure if it is a temporary closure, but it would seem permanent if they are closed now, especially at this time in the Mara. Liz's description of hard times in Kenya is right on the mark. Such an awful shame.
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM
sandi

Good morning SusanLynn -

Speaking with the tour operator I've used over the years for my African trips, she mentioned that tourism was down almost 90% (not 9, but 90) in Kenya.

Most of it started when BA stopped flying into NBO (instead went into Uganda) around the time when the war in Iraq started. And it seems it hasn't picked-up since; and, of course, the incident in Mombassa with the El Al plane and massacre of arriving tourists, didn't help either.

That said it wouldn't surprise me that some camps closed, others were offering special deals.

But I cannot comment on the C&P Mara Camp in particular.

If people are interested in reading an interesting article about the doings in Africa, check the following site:

www.aldaily.com

scroll down midway, third column on the right - an article with Zimbwabwe in bold. Retrieve the article - what's happening in many African countries. I hope that article is still online for readers.

Search this Thread