Nile River cruises

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:06 PM
Dennis George

Nile River cruises

Any input on boat operators cruising the Nile between Cairo and Luxor?

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 01:04 PM
alia

hi
i live in cairo and i happen to know that sheraton has a cruise from cairo to luxor.sorry can't help with the details.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 08:53 PM
Tom Silvia

We were on the Oberoi Philae owned by the people who owned several deluxe hotels there (Mena House, The old Cataract) The boats all seem to resemble each other and appear to be made by the same or similar maker. The difference is the age, condition, maintenance, itinerary (to fit your needs) ad of course, the food. The Oberoi Philae we had been told was a newer boat with outside private patios for each room. Supposedly this was the only ship with these patios. The suggestion was a good one and we loved the privacy of sitting out and watching the nile from our room. We saw a lot of run down boats there and heard some horror stories. The Oberoi has a site on the web with pix of the boat and additional info.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 01:30 PM
CAS

How long is the trip from Cairo to Luxor? Is it better to do that, or fly to Aswan and cruise to Luxor (or vice versa)?

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Jay Horowitz

We just returned from a 30 day trip to israel, Egypt and Jordan. Of the 9 days
we spent in Egypt, 5days and 4 nights
were on a Nile cruise. We were on the
Sonesta Nile Goddess. I will say that this was definitely one of the major highlights of our trip. The ship was very clean, the crew very friendly,
the cabin was very nice and beyond our expectations with a large picture window and very modern bathroom with tub. Meals were generally buffet style. We watched what we ate, however, only drinking bottled water (extra charge) and no salads. Food is ok as long as it is cooked well, boiled, peeled or fryed.
We highly recommend Sonesta and would go with them again. This cruise was part of a packaged tour and we had private guides at each of the stops along the way. Although we arranged this through a tour company in the US, they seem to have farmed it out to a Tour company in Egypt called 5 Continents. If any specific questions, you can E-mail me. P.S. I went with my wife and 20 something son.