Cheap eats in Cape Town PLEASE HELP!

Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Cheap eats in Cape Town PLEASE HELP!

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

My BIL is leaving to Cape Town in 2 weeks he's enrolled in a 4 week course at a University there and has a very tight budget regarding food, but is interested anyway in eating interesting and delicious local food.

Can you suggest places he can go that won't break his budget and Foods he canít miss?

TIA
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:51 AM

Bismilah (sp?) on Wale Street for Cape Malay food. Cheap, and delicious. Halal food, no alcohol.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM

Hello sol_veracruzano,

You could enquire at the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum, if you haven't already done so, as it's more budget-oriented than Fodors.

But your BIL also could ask his fellow students once he's there. Students, above all people, would know about cheap places to eat. In addition to knowing Cape Town in general, I imagine students would be particularly knowledgeable about the area around the university -- probably more so than most Fodorites.

Thit_cho already has mentioned a style of cuisine that is not to be missed, Cape Malay. In addition to that, your BIL will find biltong (dried, salted meat), boerewors (traditional South African sausages), sosaties (cubes of meat, veg and fruit arranged on a skewer, kind of like kebabs). Perhaps he will run into potjiekos (food cooked in a 3-legged, cast iron pot).

Being at the ocean, Cape Town of course has good seafood. Something that is a lot easier to find in South Africa than it is in Calgary is good lamb. Tomato bredie is a particular favourite of mine. It's a mutton stew that falls under the umbrella of Cape Malay cuisine. I also like bobotie (curried meat loaf), but I think this too falls into the Cape Malay category. After Thanksgiving and Christmas, I always turn our leftovers into curried turkey, using my curried chicken recipe.

There are quite a few traditional South African desserts as well, e.g., melktert, and koeksisters .

One also can find cuisine with a Portuguese influence in South Africa, e.g., peri peri chicken. I like that too.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM

I recall we had 2 delicious meals at two places right next to the Nelson Mandela Gateway (where one catches the boat to Robben Island). One is a Cape Malay place called Rooti and the other is a Pancake House. But there are perhaps cheaper versions of both types of restaurant in other areas of Cape Town as this is in the Waterfront area.

I second the recommendation for him to ask other students - some will have been there longer and already found some great options, others may live locally and have some local secrets to share and don't forget to ask teachers too...

Search this Thread