Cellphones in SA - dual- or triband?

Jan 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Cellphones in SA - dual- or triband?

Does my dual-band Nokia work in South Africa or I need to rent a tri-band phone? Are pay-as-you-go cards widely available?
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I believe SA uses GSM 900 and 1800, same as in Europe. If you have a US dual band phone, it's very likely to be 850 and 1900 in which case it won't work, but check your phone model to be sure.
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM

As Patty says, we use the same as in Europe so you will need a tri-band. Pay as you go cards are available all over the place and I know that you will be able to hire a phone at the airport on arrival in Johannesburg and Durban, probably also Cape Town as well.
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:25 AM
sandi

Vodaphone (world known company) has a desk at the International Terminal in JNB where you can pick-up a phone for use while visiting SA. You can contact them ahead of time (sorry I don't have their website or email, but a "search" will find them) get their pricing, which is very competitive, complete the information requested, and you'll have your phone waiting for you when you arrive.

Jan 7th, 2005, 05:31 AM

That would be Vodacom, although the UK Vodafone has a shareholding, 30% I think. Their website is www.vodacom.co.za

The two other network operators are MTN (www.mtn.co.za) and Cell C (www.cellc.co.za).
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses, actually I am from Europe and if SA uses GSM 900 and 1800, I can rely on my ordinaary dual-band phone. Also good to know that pay-cards are widely available.

Search this Thread