Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Cederberg & West Coast or Garden Route, SA: Which is better in SPRING??

Cederberg & West Coast or Garden Route, SA: Which is better in SPRING??

Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Cederberg & West Coast or Garden Route, SA: Which is better in SPRING??

Please jump in and cast your vote! Which is better in the spring: the West Coast & Cederberg OR the Garden Route, South Africa? (September 2013 trip)

Yes please feel free to be opinionated, and I love hearing opposing opinions. 8-) It gives me a better feel for each area.

My husband is a biologist and I am a poet. We both want to be inspired on our first trip to South Africa in spring (September 2013). Nothing is booked yet, but we plan to fly from San Diego or Los Angeles California to Cape Town. We will spend 17 nights, mainly in the Western Cape of South Africa.

We don't want to go too fast and cram in a lot of places. We want to avoid creating an "African blur". Looks like there is plenty to do and see using Cape Town area as a base for a week.

Then after Cape Town area, we will need to focus more on the west coast & Cederberg area...OR the Garden Route. Probably we won't have enough time to do justice to both at a leisurely pace. Addo Elephant Park looks great too, but I think it's too far for this particular trip.

It's my first trip to the continent of Africa, and my husband wants me to get hooked so he can get me to return! I'm excited although a bit nervous.

So which do YOU think is best in the spring: West coast & Cederberg, or Garden Route? And please explain why?

THANKS!
Sep 24th, 2012, 12:40 AM

Melissa,

I just arrived in Cape Town yesterday and we are headed up to Cederberg, and after that down to Grootbos. I'll let you know when we arrive home in about ten days time how it all was. Locals have been saying they had the coldest winter anyone can remember this year.

Top your post after Oct. 4 so I remember.
Sep 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

traveler318: I'm excited for you! Enjoy, and I'm eager to hear your report of your experiences. Grootbos has been recommended to me.
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

traveler318: How was your trip to Cederberg and Grootbos? Did you prefer the west coast or the southern coast?

I'm in the midst of making decisions about where to stay on our spring trip to South Africa, and I've only booked 1 place so far!

Thanks for anyone's ideas.

Search this Thread