Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCAfrica

Any word on this tour company?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:07 AM
sandi

They're well-known, been around awhile, own lots of properties throughout Africa. Usually only promote their own properties for your lodging; some properties can be expensive.

If you ask re specific properties, countries, we might be able to provide additional information.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at Botswana in early October. I am looking at a pioneer safari named Botswana Explorer ($1665pp)
for a 10 day trip from Maun to Victoria Falls. Any help Sandi would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:32 PM

I sent them a request last week for info on the other Botswana safari for May and have yet to hear back from them. They are pretty well regarded and noted in several guides (e.g., the Brandt guide by Chris McIntyre). Today there was a strange email from someone at ccafrica who was "testing" their email....I suspect they've had some sort of difficulty with their website, email, etc. I'm also sort of in a holding pattern as far as planning goes -- I figure by February we'll start seeing airfares from the US in the $800 range, like they've got now until March.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:07 AM
sandi

Not familiar with your specific itinerary, but gather you'll be spending 2-3/nts at 2-3 camps and then head over to Vic Falls for a day or two. Sounds good to me and the price is certainly right.

CCAfrica is a very reputable company and should provide the safari experience you are looking for.

If you have specific questions as to what to expect, how to pack, travel meds and/or innoculations, etc. do ask here as there is a wealth of information for you.

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:57 AM

We are using them for our trip in a few weeks. They've been very responsive to me and have some relatively good deals right now - at least based upon quotes from other tour companies in the same parks and time period. I'll let you know when I return how they were. I've been working with Drew and Susan.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

I would very much appreciate knowing how the trip goes hlphillips2, thanks. Do they arrange your flights within Africa for you or do they not do that?
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Yes, they arranged all of our flights within the country. They have a U.S. affiliate that handled our U.S. to Africa tickets, though unlike some tour operators, we did not have to use their service.

We added a few days in another park onto the package itinerary that they offered. While the package was a wonderful deal, the addition with airfare was a bit costly. Just FYI, if you're considering something beyond a set schedule.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I was looking at flying into Jnb from Amsterdam and then letting CCAfrica take care of my flights from Jnb to Maun and from Victoria Falls back to Jnb.
But you said that this is a bit pricey? How much more per person are we talking about if you do not mind? Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:57 PM
sandi

stinky -

If you want to have an idea of flight prices JNB/MNB and VFA/JNB check out:

www.premiertours.com

They are a tour operator (out of Phila,PA), but have a consolidator air department and about the best prices around.

You might also want to check:

www.2afrika.com

Also a tour operator (out of New Jersey) with good consolidator airfares.

This will give you an idea of the prices on these two routes for the time you plan to travel and then you can compare with what CCAfrica quotes.

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Stinky,
Sorry for any confusion. The flights were right in line with those of other operators.

The relatively expensive part was our addition of three days in the Masai Mara. Our package was for Tanzania parks, but the three additional days in Kenya with flights ended up being about $300 per person per day. Probably more than we would have paid elsewhere, but we decided it was easier to stick with one tour company. Hope that helps!