Casablanca or Dubai for one night?

Jan 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Casablanca or Dubai for one night?

I'm joining an Imaginative Traveller tour in late May to Morocco.

On the final day of the tour, my flight home (via Emirates) is not ideal (a 6-8 hour layover in Dubai after flying in from Casablanca AND a subsequent stopover in Singapore before I finally touched down in KL at close to midnight). However, the flight timings the day AFTER is much better, with only a 2-hour transit in Dubai and a direct flight back to KL, reaching at 2pm.

Now I'm wondering whether I should just save myself the trouble of the extra long transit and extra city stopover and just fly home a day later.

Should I then:

1. Stay another day in Casablanca? (I would already have toured Casablanca by then and I'd be alone as my friends would have left for home a day earlier.)

2. Make a 1-night stopover in Dubai and explore Dubai for a day? (I'd then have to pay for a single hotel room and venture out alone to...shop? I don't mind but is it worth the effort and expenses for just one day?)

I'm just not sure which option is better for me. Any advice would be appreciated!
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:33 AM

I've never been to Casablanca, but I've spent quite a lot of time on and off in Dubai. 1 day there's probably ok - there's very little to do, unless you want to lie by the pool, or shop (and the shopping's not as good as it used to be). You could go on a desert safari, which are good fun - dune bashing, camel rides, sandboarding etc, but you'd have to arrange it in advance. Otherwise you could go skiing on the indoor ski slope, or go and explore the gold souk's, but that's about it.
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I should say that I would already have done some desert activities in Morocco prior to this.

I guess I'm really looking for the least hassle option, and at this moment, all 3 options (long, convoluted transit, one extra night in Casablanca or Dubai) seem so troublesome to me.

I was hoping someone else could maybe see the advantage of one of these options and point it out to me so I could go "ah, you're right, I'll do just that"
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Just got back from a month in Morocco and live in Dubai. Spent 2 days in Casa and that was 2 days too many- very run down and not much to see after you visit the Hassan 2 Mosque.

Dubai is not must of a hassle except for the traffic.

You can easily catch a taxi and head to any of the shopping malls. It will be much more relaxed than Casa/Morocco.
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM

I agree, Casa is a bit of a pit, not a good place for a stop-over. Go for Dubai.
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I have never been to Dubai, but Casablanca does not merit a visit. I did not even like Hassan Mosque, very big but very tacky. If Rabat can be visited, I will give it a try, it,s nice, relaxed and pretty small.