Carthage?

Mar 4th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Carthage?

My father and I loved the roman ruins in Rome and saw that Carthage would be nice to visit. The only problem is that we fear for our safety. Is Tunisia safe at the moment? We would like to take a tour of Carthage. Thanks!
Mar 10th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Do it - Carthage is very rewarding. You should also visit the mosaic museum and the Souk.

Tunisia is safe. Tourism is the country's main source of income and the elected government is very eager to keep tourism going.
Mar 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Carthage nowadays is actually a suburb of Tunis. I stayed there for a couple of weeks a few years ago. Beautiful city, right on the Med. The embassies are all there. As I recall, the ruins are more Phoenician, though. You'd have to check. There are places in Tunisia that are Roman -- like Dougga. Amazing place, so much intact. My friends and I hired a taxi to take us there on a day trip. The Roman mosaic museum is the Bardo, and is located in Tunis, not Carthage. It's the best such museum I have ever seen. Great if you are fond of Roman ruins, as I also am. There was a light rail (commuter train) that took you from Carthage to Tunis quite easily. Going the other way, you could get to some great seaside towns, like Sidi Bou Said. Great town to visit, all whitewashed buildings with nice shops and cafes. As for safety, I would want to find out where the demonstrations have been taking place. If in Tunis, Carthage is quite removed. However, if they took place at the embassies, then Carthage would be the site of them. Hope you get some feedback from someone who has been there recently. I hope you get to go. It's a great place to visit.
Mar 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM

The souk as the other poster mentioned, is wonderful -- but it is also in Tunis, not Carthage. Carthage probably has a small souk, but nothing like the bazaar of Tunis, which has old buildings and dark passageways, just like you might imagine. If you take the light rail from Carthage, you can walk straight down the street to get to the souk. When you approach, many "guides" will want to take you in. Just wave your hand, and say Leh, leh, shukran (which means no, no, thank you in Arabic). Move straight into the souk doing this, and they should leave you alone. People speak French, rather than English, in Tunisia, but if you speak some Arabic, it will get you miles further.

Search this Thread