Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Carry-on restrictions (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/carry-on-restrictions-640178/)

sooscr Aug 18th, 2006 01:51 PM

Carry-on restrictions

With the new carry-on restrictions on British Air flights, I'm wondering if any of you have advice on how to pack breakable (binoculars, etc.) and/or liquid items (shampoo, etc.) for minimal damage since we must use only soft-sided luggage? We are not allowed to have anything in our pockets, so there goes the idea of stuffing things in a safari vest!

Kavey Aug 18th, 2006 02:01 PM

Sooscr, I'd check the latest updates on hand baggage restrictions - my understanding is that you are now permitted fairly normal stuff - they have reduced the maximum size of bag a touch but not massively and you're allowed cameras and so on again - just NOTHING with liquids or creams etc.

cw Aug 18th, 2006 04:05 PM

Keep watching the updates until you leave. I'm planning on packing anything liquid in double ziplock bags, maybe surrounded by bubble wrap, in my checked bag.

I may just put my contact (daily wear) lenses in a small plastic container and cushion it in between my clothes.

And then hope for the best. At least if I have my camera and binoculars with me, I'll be happy. On BA you can take a carry-on bag that is 17.7 in. x 13.7 x 6.2.

CW

jules39 Aug 18th, 2006 07:36 PM

I have never carried shampoo & the like in my carry on and always travel with a soft sided bag. I just make sure all the lids are tight and out each of them in small zip lock bags (double bag). I put all of that in a wash bag and put that in the mid section of my bag.
J

jules39 Aug 18th, 2006 07:40 PM

Forgot to say that I also rebottle stuff into samller "naglene" bottles because they are tough and the right size.
Happy travels
J

sandi Aug 19th, 2006 04:02 AM

In additional to packing the liquids in ziplock bags, pack you clothing in these also. Just in case anything spills, seeps, explodes from the bag with liquids, your clothing should be safe.

Aother hint for liquids in your packed luggage, do not fill them to the very top... leave some air at top in case of expension while airborne.

Double bagging is good; try to place them in stand-up position in the middle of your soft cloths... though no guarantee the bag won't be tossed and turned on edge or upside down somewhere along the line... just consider all possibilities.

On my last trip, a bottle of bright coral nail polish did open inflight and when I opened my bag this was the first odor that hit me. As I was panicing I was pleased to see (though it was tightly screwed on, somehow it loosened and spilled, but inside the bag. Nothing else was damaged, but I was smalling this for 2/wks. Interesting though the polish did stick and dry to the sides of the plastic and daily I was peeling off pieces of dried polish. Plastic bags are good.

As others mention, keep on top of rule changes but be prepared to pack most of your "stuff" to go into your checked luggage.

Kavey Aug 19th, 2006 04:30 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention the shampoo thing - as the others have said we too have travelled with soft sided luggage only and have always put our toiletries in without any problem - not wrapped in clothing either.

We have a large toiletry bag into which all this stuff goes - shampoos, conditioners, sun block, aftersun, moisturisers... if anything has a lid that seems a little iffy I'll wrap it in a plastic bag first but I seldom bother. The toiletry bag is waterproof anyway so if anything leaks it stays in that. I've only had things leak slightly very occasionally - one was a pump action face wash and the lid came off so it pumped once or twice within the toiletry bag - not a big deal as it took only moments to wash the other bottles down on arrival and not much was wasted. And another time a tube of cream split. No biggie.