Smoking etiquette in South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be going to South Africa (Cape Town and hopefully a 3 day safari as well). Is there any special etiquette I need to know? I know in Europe smoking is allowed most places but not sure about So.Africa and I don't want to light up in the wrong places.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I think you will find it obvious where it is okay to smoke, just like in the US. And if you aren't sure, just ask. Nearly everyone speaks English.

On the game drives I went on they made stops for smokers. Just pick up the butts to throw away back at camp.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sundowner. This was my thoughts as well, just confirming. (I always have a small plastic bag in my pocket for butts).
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM

One of the few things our former Minister of Health did get right was the smoking laws!
It is illegal to smoke in any public area anywhere in SA, including airport buildings, shopping centres, etc. It is not yet illegal to smoke when walking down the street but pending updates to the legislation may make it so. Restaurants are required to have any smoking section closed off from the non-smoking section with it's own ventilation system. Most large hotels will have smoking and non-smoking rooms, and you will probably see a sign on entering an establishment if it is a smoking area or not. If someone is caught smoking illegally the establishment is fined not the smoker!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Traci is correct abut the legislation, except that amendments in the pipeline (I have read the draft that was published for comment) do not extend to walking in the street! There is bhowever, the option for the Minister to ban smoking in specified outdoor events.

Traci has described the law regarding restaurants, bars and the many places that have a bar and dining facilities in the same room. However, although most restaurants have complied, almost no bars and bar/restaurants have. This is even aided and abetted by the placement of ashtrays. There are also quasi-legal signs in many bars that (illegally) designate it as a "smoking area". (As opposed to the signs to which Traci refers, which are "non-smoking" and which would be correct.) There are also often smoking and non-smoking areas in the same rooms. That is also illegal, because there is not 100% separate ventilation. But I have to admit (yes, I'm what's called a "health Nazi by the smoking lobby here!) that if you see others smoking, or there are ashtrays provided, you will get away with it.

As Traci says, there are pending amendments that will close some of the loopholes that has made prosecutions almost impossible. More significantly, a bhuge increase in fines is proposed. That will hopefully (sorry!) lead to the first prosecutions, and when that is publicised the other pub owners etc. will run for cover.

But let me get off my personal soapbox and say that at the speed legislation moves here, that won't afect yo
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Sorry, was typing too furiously there. The subject does get me somewhat agitatedp! So some typos remain, and that final sentence should read:

" . . . that won't affect your trip".