Search

Relentless Enemies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relentless Enemies

Greetings all -

This Sunday (29-Jan) on National Geographic channel, the Jouberts' new film, "Relentless Enemies" will air. The 2-hour film, shot in HD (if you get Nat'l Geo HD - watch it there), chronicles the relationship between lions and buffalos.

As many of you may already know, the filming was done at Duba over the last 18 months and those who may have visited recently will recognize the Tsaro pride and over 1000-strong herd of buffalo featured in this documentary.

I know how many of you are passionate about Africa and its wildlife and I urge you to tune in for this one and set your Tivo's!

Here is a link with more info:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...el/relentless/

Their film "The Eye of the Leopard" about a soon-to-be-famous female leopard at Mombo camp is due to be completed and air later this year.

Both projects will include a book and DVD available soon.

Cheers and enjoy -
James
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Thanks James
I'll have to keep an eye out over when these will air in the UK!
The Jouberts were in Mombo filming the leopard in question during our visit in 2004 and were very generous in letting guides know where they were so guests could come along and enjoy the sightings. In exchange the guides would also help them to relocate the leopards too...
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:23 AM
santharamhari

Thanks.........i wonder when National Geographic will air the program in India....

I was lucky to bump into the jouberts and watch them film during my trip to Duba in 2004

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Santharamhari,

Maybe you discussed this elsewhere, but when were you at Duba and can you describe your stay and sightings? Thanks.

My calendar is marked for Jan. 29!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Oh boy, I'm really looking forward to this!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:00 AM

James: Thanks for the heads up!!

I have been anxiously awaiting this film. Every day I walk into my living room and my office greeted by pictures of the Duba Boys. It has now been 3 years and I can still hear them roaring at an intruder and then jumping a 15 foot channel of water to chase him away. The fire in the eyes of 4 Skimmer males walking through the water and right past our vehicle approaching 5 intruding Tsaro males, all in the presence of 1,000 buffalo was electric and to realise all these lions are born of the Duba Boys was unbelievable.

Truly Duba Plains is the most special place I have visited, I can't wait to see how the Joubert's have captured it.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the update, I was wondering when we would see these.

The Jouberts are wonderful filmmakers and really nice people. Seeing both the Tortilis cub & th Jouberts filming TC was wonderful. (Worth the price of admission to Mombo, I'd say, but then there were all those other incredible experiences there too.)

From what I can gather off the WS website postings, TC has survived but none of her mothers other cubs have survived. A reminder how difficult the struggle to survive is, even for smart adaptable predators like leopards.

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Wow, I popped by at a good time. I'll have to check out the TV pages for this and write it on my calendar so I don't miss it! Maybe it will push us in the direction of planning another Africa trip now that we are "settled" in retirement and actually into a savings-for-travel mode that's progressing far more quickly than expected.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
santharamhari

It was March/April 2004 at Duba......we did see the duba boys. We only managed to see one of the three prides of lions. Even the one pride was split up, due to the lions denning with cubs (we did see the cubs). We did follow the buffalo herd every day......but they were no where near the lions. The jouberts were just patiently waiting by the den site.

The other two prides were in an area that was not accessible to the vehicles, if you remember back to 2004......was a year of above-average rainfall. The flooding was big and early.

Did see a big herd of elephants (not the reason for one to go to Duba)

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

For those who are keen to watch but cannot catch it tomorrow night (and do not have a DVR), here are the upcoming airings (times are EST):

Thursday, Feb 2, at 5P
Saturday, Feb 4, at 5P
Thursday, Feb 9, at 8P
Saturday, Feb 11, at 5P
Monday, Feb 13, at 2P

James
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM
johan_belgium

Has anyone seen "Relentless enemies" already?

If so, I would love to hear something about it.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:33 AM

I watched the first hour, and I was unimpressed. I had much higher expectations based on the filmmaker's prior work, like Eternal Enemies (lions vs hyenas). Maybe the second hour is more interesting (and I Tivo'd it just in case), but it seems like they had 20 minutes of footage that they stretched into a two-hour film. Its very repetitive and covers ground that we have seen in lots of other documentaries. To me, its uninspired and uninteresting.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:16 AM
sandi

Agree with Michael - I wasn't all that impressed either. Normally, I'm on my seat edge watching Natl Geo animal programs, but this was rather blah.

Sure, the female lions are rather large and interesting to watch how they line-up their attacks... but it just "didn't do it" for me.

However, if you have 2-hrs with nothing much to do, it's worth a watch - tape or TIVO and view as time allows.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I TIVO'd. But did end up watching a bit, while supposedly making dinner. I was fascinated and thought the small part I saw was excellent. Having just come back from my first safari with a serious video camera, I was looking at cinematography as much as story. But I was hooked on a few minutes, when I watch the whole thing I may have the same response.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I hated the constant commercial breaks. The narration drove me crazy too -- I kept wanting to ask questions: "You mean they ONLY hunt buffalo? "
There also seemed to be an awful lot of attribution of emotions and motives to the lions (well, maybe the buffalo, too).

It is worth watching for the beautiful scenery and animals though.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Wow, I watched the whole thing and I thought it was awesome. Granted, I don't usually watch animal documentaries, so this is being judged more relative to our own experience on safari.

I thought the footage of the lions' coordinated attacks against buffalos was amazing, as well as the herds' defense. There was also a brief shot of two male lions fighting -- just mesmerizing. We never saw anything like that on safari! Makes me really want to go to Duba Plains.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Some amazing footage and certainly worth a view but I would agree that the Joubert's earlier films, particularly Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas was far better.

I was very dissappointed with the lack of discussion of the Duba Boys and how the prides in the area are so connected because of them. With the exception of the one quick battle all that was said of the males is that they are 13 and should be on their way out soon and that they show up to take the kills alot.

To me the real story of Duba is how these brothers with a coalition of just 2 have made it to 13 years of age and still accompany the most successful pride and that there was a time when they actually controlled 4 different prides. There used to be a 4th pride not mentioned in the film, Old Vumbura Pride I believe it was called that lived on the margins of the concession. When the Tsaro and Skimmer prides come together in dispute many of those lions despite being in different prides are half sisters and I believe the Skimmer male in the fight is a son of one of the Duba Boys too. No mention that this area at the height of the Duba Boys was considered to have the highest density of lion in all of Africa and virtually all of them either mated with or descended from these brothers. James Rowon was the manager at Duba for a few years and studied all of this and left to write a book -- that should be the read for lion lovers that will capture this fascinating story.

I like the early lion films where the Joubert's narrate it themselves and get much more into the detailed relationships of the individuals and the behaviours of the species. Hollywood narration in this film tries to build drama when the film could do it on its own and provides very little real information to increase a viewers understanding of the area and the species involved. A very flat portrait of a dynamic existence.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
johan_belgium

I would like to thank everyone for its comments on the Jouberts' new film. I had such high expectations after their earlier work ... I am still very curious about Beverly's book.

Eternal enemies I guess will always be my favourite film about lions I think.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Hi All,
I agree, it was ok. The Hollywood script/narration I found distracting if not somewhat annoying at times.
regards - tom
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Still hoping to see this, despite the mixed reviews.

In the Joubert's defense, there seems (in the US market) to be pressure (given what sponsors will pay film-makers) to do less shooting in the field (which costs alot) and stretch it out in various ways. Also the narration: now sponsors seem to think they need either "professional" or "celebrity" narration. The very worst examples are those silly programs where Meg Ryan stars in and narrates a documentary about elephants, or Julia Roberts does one about orangutans. Or maybe the worst are where they take old footage and recut it into a new documentary (wildlife babies, etc.)

It's like the move to reality TV or extensive "game shows": make it cheaper, make it appeal to the lowest common denominator. Horrid. Well the same pressures are being put on wildlife filmmakers, so I fear we are going to have more mediocre, "popular" stuff in the future. Too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -