Recommended tour company for Botswana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a safari trip to Botswana in May 2010. I am at the early planning stages and would appreciate recommended companies to go with. I have looked on the internet, but would like suggestions from experienced people. Does anyone know anything about a company called Ultimate Africa? I am thinking that we would do 3 safaris in different areas for 2 or 3 nights each. I would like to know which areas would be the best to go to in May. Our primary interest is in the game, cats and elephants - the animals. We are also thinking that we would spend about 3-4 days in Capetown and go to Victoria Falls for 2-3 days.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM

To your question regarding the Tour Operator: I have not heart fo them. But that doesn't mean anything because I do the booking/planning myself.

Please inform on the rough max budget without long haul flights and whether you are free in choosing any carrier and where you are coming from - might have an impact on to your travel days etc.

Furthermore the max days of travel within Southern Africa would be interesting to know.

SV
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM

carrie,

ultimate africa is a great safari company. they are a competitor of my company and i know their owner, ian proctor. i highly recommend ian and his company and they will do good work for you.

like my company, ultimate africa works directly with wilderness safaris and should have the best rates and terms. ian knows botswana well.

i am not sure about this, but he likely has contracts with the other major lodge operators in botswana (desert & delta, &beyond, sanctuary, etc. etc.) and should be able to give you options other than wildernes (if you wanted). IMO wilderness camps are in the best game viewing areas.

may 2010 is a classic shoulder season. the linynati region will be rapidly improving as the elephant herds start to arrive in may.
- in early may, i recommend chitabe + little vumbura + duba plains.
- in late may, i recommend chitabe + little vumbura + duma tau.

here are my recommended subs if camps are sold out:
- chitabe: #2 chitabe ledibe
- little vumbura: #2 kwetsani, #3 tubu tree
- duba plains: no sub!
- duma tau: #2 savuti, #3 selinda

there are also premier camps which i did not mention (mombo, kings pool, vumbura plains, jao).

ian participates on trip advisor under the name safaripro if you want to sample his knowledge in a non-committal way.

craig beal
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Craig, Thank you for your information. This gives me a great starting point. I know I need to start pursuing this promptly. Are the time frames I suggested adequate for this trip. We are allowing about two weeks, not including airfare from the US.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM

3 nights each BOTs destination (not less !) plus 2 days (one night will be sufficient when you travel from the last BOTs camp via Kasane/Bots to Livingstone). May is excellent for Livingstone. No need to cross further into ZIM as the falls are in full swing at your time of travel.

So that makes 10 nights without the stop-over in JNB prior to the Bots/Zam combo. I would highly recommend you stop-over in JNB unless your plane arrives not later than 06.30/07.00am same day. Then you can book the Air Botswana flight out of JNB to Maun.
Don't gamle with the afternoon flight. They are often late and you might end up overnighting in Maun which cost you one expensive camp night!
So rather do it the relaxed way arrive in JNB, get a good B+B close to JNB Or Tambo Intl. and head to Botswana the next day on the 10.00am flight to Maun.

Makes 11 nights.

Cape Town in May is nice but only sub-optimal regarding season. It might be already rough, rainy but some sunny hours.
Anyway - 3 nights for Cape Town left is the minimum you should do. 4 night would be ideal and offers the opportunity to spend one day in the winelands.

Happy planning.

Ah - shoulder season: You might have a look at KWANDO and its "5 river safaris" which are around 350US$pppd and might extend into May.
Check pls. If that's the case - you cannot get better value than that.

SV
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM

Craig,

Given the fact that parts of Southern Africa are going through a wetter cycle at the moment, I wouldn't recommend camps in Northern Botswana based on your previous experiences in drier years.

Do me a favour next time you go to Botswana and visit the Gomoti area and the Kwedi concession and see with your own eyes what I am talking about?

Christie,

In general you can still have a good experience and if you are lucky you have maybe phenomenal sightings (but this will be the exception to the rule) but the wetter the Okavango delta becomes the less attractive it will be for conducting safaris as the game will be far more dispersed and the roads you can drive on will/can be severely limited.

May isn't the best time of year to go on safari to Northern Botswana as disadvantages (pans hold still water/high grasses/game is still dispersed in most areas/not the best time of year to see the dogs) outweigh the advantages (light should be good). Actually with the current flood levels the relationship between the price of a safari and the quality of gameviewing is sometimes inverse.

Maybe in the not so distant future instead of a vehicle, a mokoro will be the preferred means of transport for a safari in the delta as dry land activities will come under pressure in certain areas.

Cheers,

Johan
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM

Johan - must agree to your remarks regarding the Delta. This year even in Aug it was difficult and in some areas only related to water activities. Not to mention the fact that camps had difficulties getting their clients to their airstrips and must use other camp's airstrips.

I assume Christie is somehow committed to go in May.

And for that Lagoon and Lebala would be a good choice or Savute/Linynati plus Kwara as a water experience...........

As we cannot predict the weather one must simply take what comes along and doesn't let the weather/water level ruin a safari.

E.g. this year there is a drought in East Africa as the long rains almost were not existent.
So the short rains in Nov might help or even unfold as torrential as we experienced in 2006/2007 when people got stuck in their cars and missed their long-haul flights.

Cheers!

SV
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM

well, most say that the summer of 2008/2009 was the wettest in 30 years and i agree it did effect game viewing. i did not have a chance to travel in may 2008 to the delta, but many clients had great experiences and saw plenty of animals. even if this record rain does repeat, may is going to be a good value as the rates will be about 40% less than june 15-october 31. yes - you will have more challenge on game drives in may vs july or august but i don't think it will be as dramatic as some say.

the reason i changed duba plains to duma tau for later in may is exactly because of the rain.

johann - i'll have to look at the shell map tomorrow to find the gome and kwedi concessions. thanks for the info.

craig
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM

Christie-

If you are going to Wilderness Safaris camps, make an inquiry on their website and they will respond with the travel agencies they use in your area. I have had very good luck with the TA I found that way. I think with &Beyond you can make arrangement directly with them and will help you with the other arrangements - please correct me if I am wrong.

Historically May has been the end of the wet season, but the weather in the southern hemisphere is very unpredictable now. We got unlucky this year with rain but we had a blast anyway and I think the animals came out to greet us because we weren't going to let the weather get in the way of our fun!!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM

christie - you can have an adequate experience in two weeks round trip from washinton state (i assume if you know ian). but, the more the better. nine days at three camps is good for a first timer!

craig beal
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I am now more confused. I am not committed to May, but wanted to avoid the summer because of the world cup. Is there a preferred time that I should consider? I would like to avoid the high season if at all possible.

My dates to spend in Africa are flexible and I am willing to add a couple more days if it means a better opportunity for safaris. Would 4 days be better for Capetown and three days at each safari camp?

I do not know Ian, but found his company on the internet. I am not from Washington State, but from the East coast. I would appreciate all information and suggestions.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM

I look forward to seeing what October is like - with all the water around not sure how much of it is going to recede really.

FYI - I thought last October was high water levels and if readers recall the old Lebala airstrip went under water.

PS: SV - Re water activities at Kwara - the Heronery is mainly active in the winter months into the early part of December or so.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM

Craig mentions going to the camps in May simply to take advantage of the low season pricing. Is it really value for money? with all the extremely high water levels and with limited activities?
Or would you rather call it more affordable pricing?
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM

The game viewing gets better August, Sept, Oct. October starts getting hot (historically). I think by the end of July the crowds will start to dissipate and the airline rates and accommodations will start to get back to normal. You're right - June and July are probably out. People go to the delta all year round and pics I've seen during the green season are beautiful. Botswana is a special place no matter when you go. Enjoy your planning - it's (almost) half the fun. Capetown is cold in Sept and Vic Falls empties out - historically. It was just a trickle in sept 2006, but still not to be missed.

IMHO - Three nights is much better than 2!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM

The Gomoti forms the border between NG31 (Chitabe) and the Moremi Game Reserve.

Kwedi concesson: Vumbura plains, Little Vumbura

Cheers,

Johan
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM

johan - thanks for the info on kwedi concession. i had recommended little vumbura to her in my first post so we are on the same page.

christie - IF you don't go in high season then the second best time is right before high season (not right after). that is why i think may offers the best value. but, perhaps i should say may offers the most value for the non-high seasonn travel periods.

world cup - the world cup airline pricing ends on july 17. after that, airline prices return to normal but botswana will be in high season.

where are you from on the east coast? i can perhaps recommend a safari consultant close to you that you can meet face to face and go over this stuff.

if you are from the NYC or DC area, then i am sure you know south african airways has daily flights from JFK and IAD.

craig beal
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Craig, I would appreciate a recommendation for a safari consultant that I could personally meet. I live in CT. Thanks for all the valuable information.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM

IMO - The best safari consulting company in Connecticut is going to be Classic Africa in Hartford. They also work directly with Wilderness Safaris.

I spent several summers in Mystic as a submarine office in the Navy back in the 90s. I love CT in the summer!

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Craig,

Thanks for the info. I will contact them today. Yes, CT is beautiful.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM

Christie- Classic Africa is the TA I use. I can't say enough good things about them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -