Car rental - JNB to Kruger

Mar 26th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Car rental - JNB to Kruger

I am planning a solo trip to South Africa in December. Any thoughts on what kind of a car I might need for a 5- to 7-day trip? And what might be some things to watch out for in booking a car?
Mar 27th, 2014, 04:54 AM

If you are in US, I'd recommend checking Avis and using one of their coupon codes found easily with a google search. I saved $200 on a one week rental Kruger to JNB. The one way fee was $80. If I'm not mistaken, Avis is the only rental within Kruger though there are others outside park.
Mar 27th, 2014, 10:10 AM

We always rent with Avis at JNB mainly because they are a USA company and if there are any problems(never have been) we would be dealing with a USA company here at home.

Avis also has other offices in and near Kruger. At JNB Avis is in the airport complex. Avis also has an office in Kruger in camp Skukuza. And at towns Hoedspruit (HDS), and at Nelspruit and Phalaborwa. HDS, Nels, and Pha being within 50 miles of a Kruger gate.

As for the car itself, to/from Kruger and in Kruger the roads are good so no need for 4-wheel drive. But modern compact (and larger) cars today tend to have small side windows, raked back windshields with huge corner posts. All this severely obstructs your view of wildlife. At Avis JNB they will have probably 200 vehicles there, ready, that you can choose from.

And more $$$ than USA, think last time 2009 the Avis Volkswagen was around $70 a day.

Kruger is great, we love it. Also love the private camps in the adjacent (to Kruger) Sabi Sand and Timbavati reserves. While in Kruger you can not drive off-road, the private camps/reserves do, so, you can really get nice up close viewing of whatever there is. Both drive-it-yourself Kruger and private camps in an open Land Rover are very different experiences, both great.

regards - tom

Search this Thread