Reload this Page >

Aouth Africa - health and lodging questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Kate

Hi all - <BR>I'll be spending about 5-6 weeks working on a documentary project in South Africa this July-August. We'll be in Capetown, Durban and Johannesburg. <BR><BR>Two questions as I start the planning. First, do I need antimalarial medication for the regions I'll be visiting? (Apologies if this is a VERY basic question, but I don't have my travel/guidebooks here at work and I'm about to make a doctor's appt for any health stuff I need). Any other necessary health precautions to take in advance? <BR><BR>Second, we'll be spending quite some time in Capetown, probably a full 3 weeks. Can anyone recommend a long-term lodging option there? This is not a Hollywood-type budget, so we are looking for a more economy place that would be a good, safe option and can sleep four.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help you can give!<BR>Kate

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Kate

Oops, obviously I meant SOUTH Africa!

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Steve

You won't need anti-malerial medication if you are visiting any of the major cities. You can go to http://www.cdc.gov/travel/safrica.htm to see current reccomendations.<BR><BR>As far as lodging goes, if you are travelling from the states, your $$ will go a LONG LONG way - you should easily find something for 30-40 US$ a night.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Lisa

Try Sir Francis for Cape town accommodation.www.sirfrancis.com. We have stayed there a number of times and our group of 16 will be staying there in August. It is pleasant safe has a good view.<BR>It is a condo/hotel and there is a master bedroom and living room with comfortable sleep sofa.Full bathroom and kitchen. another one that looked good but I have not stayed there is the Peninsula All-suite hotel.<BR><BR>this is out of season so accommodation will be priced accordingly.<BR><BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:07 PM
local

No malaria medicine, but Cape Town in July/August is like a baby, if it is not wet, it has a wind...

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:29 AM
nikkit

In Cape Town we liked the Villa Surprise a funky small guesthouse owned by an artist and well located in Camps Bay. you can read our review of it at www.i-escape.com/villasurprise.php<BR>(they are also offering discounts for i-escape members during this period)

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM
nikkit

I forgot to say that I also know of a very cool penthouse apartment in Camps Bay which sleeps 4 and would be about US$700 a week for apartment (negotiatable for a longer stay). written up at http://www.i-escape.com/lionsview.php