Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Car Rental In Israel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/car-rental-in-israel-898989/)

zwho Jul 15th, 2011 03:42 PM

Car Rental In Israel

A tour guide I am in contact with is telling me that I can rent a car by phone or internet in my name and she can pick it up. Is this true? I always thought the person who made the reservation and pays has to pick up the car. I'm just trying to make sure all the wrinkles are ironed out before we start our trip! Thanks in advance.

mbgg Jul 15th, 2011 10:49 PM

It sounds dubious. Why not ask the rental car company? Other than that, I can think of one good reason not to agree: guide picks up car, guide has accident, etc - who is responsible for damage?

qwovadis Jul 16th, 2011 01:45 AM

No reputable agent/rental agency would do this

Not even legal too much liability risk.

Give NO ONE credit card info to do this.

Usually stick with carrentals.com out of Ben Gurion

for best deals... be careful with your "guide"

sounds like a scammer.

qwovadis Jul 16th, 2011 01:45 AM

No reputable agent/rental agency would do this

Not even legal too much liability risk.

Give NO ONE credit card info to do this.

Usually stick with carrentals.com out of Ben Gurion

for best deals... be careful with your "guide"

sounds like a scammer.

Oreet Jul 16th, 2011 11:14 AM

This whole things sounds somewhat fishy to me. The only way your guide may be able to pick up the car for you is if the guide is also listed as a driver on your rental. If you do that, keep in mind that since you will have an Israeli registered on the car rental contract you will not be eligible for the VAT exemption granted to tourists - that means you will have to pay the additional 16% tax.

Additionally, the driver can't really drive your car unless it is only in the case of emergency. For a guide to drive you while guiding the guide must have a chauffeur's license and then the driving can only be in a licensed tourism vehicle, not a rental car or the guide's private car, etc.

I would look into this a lot more carefully before proceeding with this transaction.

Elkaz Jul 16th, 2011 07:47 PM

Even before reading the responses of others my negative radar went up. This just not sound correct! Oreet above did a great job of summarizing why it is no good

However, renting cars out of Ben Gurion usually incur a surcharge of $25-$30. If you NEED the car at the airport go for it--but all reputable agencies have offices in all the major cities.

zwho Jul 17th, 2011 12:14 PM

Thank you to all of you for the excellent advice. I have emailed her asking for answers and will see if I just misunderstood or not. Thanks again.

mamamia2 Jul 17th, 2011 08:36 PM

A tour guide is suppose to have his/her own car.....

Oreet Jul 17th, 2011 11:37 PM

To mamamia2 - where did you get the information that a tour guide is supposed to have his own car? This is totally wrong.

A tour guide is an individual who took the 2 year course, passed all the exams and continues to take continuing education courses to keep their license valid. This license says that they can guide tours (large and small) anywhere in Israel.

In order to drive and guide the guide needs to also get a chauffer's license. Even then, the guide does not have to have a touring car - he/she can rent one as needed, if they choose.

No where is there any connection between driving and guiding - fact - the overwhelming majority of guides do not drive and guide, they prefer to have someone else drive so they can focus on guiding.

schmerl Jul 18th, 2011 03:43 AM

zwho,
PLEASE make sure this "guide" is licensed and if she isn't....find another one who is!!!

mamamia2 Jul 18th, 2011 05:56 AM

Oreet: I guess you know better.... My knowledge from friends who hired a tour guides in Israel is that the guide was also their driver who picked them up every morning, driving his own (or rented, doesn't really matter) car. Of course, when you have a large group that needs a bus, or a minibus, it's different. But again, you must be more knowledgeable in this subject.

Oreet Jul 18th, 2011 06:15 AM

It's definitely possible that your friends hired a guide who is also a driver and has his own van, or arranges to have one - but that is still not a requirement and many guides do not drive - sorry, if I sounded harsh - not my intent. What's important to know is that if your guide is also driving they must have the proper license, otherwise they are not insured in case of an accident.

zwho Jul 18th, 2011 07:00 AM

I have written the guide that I want to speak to her when I have all my questions answered. So I will add on does she have a chauffers license? Thank you again for all your help. She did tell me that she reason she offered to drive is I want to keep the cost of the tour as low as possible. Does that make sense. It did to me.

Oreet Jul 18th, 2011 10:35 AM

Check very carefully what she is offering and what package you are putting together. There are some guides who will drive you in your rental car - the problem will arise only if you have an accident or some other unpleasant situation.

Legally, you will be in a very gray area and you may find that you are without insurance. At this point it doesn't matter if the guide has a chauffers license or not, as that is only valid for driving you in a "touring" vehicle - one that has the emblem of the Min. of Tourism on the car. Either that or a taxi.

Obviously, we all hope not to have an accident, but it would be a shame to find out after the fact that now you have no insurance.