Entry-exit Visa

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entry-exit Visa

I have a USA passport and was told that I would not need a visa to enter Swaziland directly, but that I WOULD need an entry/exit visa to travel into and out of Swaziland from S. Africa. Anyone know about this? Who should I contact to get these visas? I tried to find info on the internet but only found USA-Swaziland requirements.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Hello CeeJ,

To be confident of getting the right information, I think it would be a good idea to call Swaziland's embassy in Washington DC at (202) 234-5002.

I got their phone number, above, from the U.S. Department of State's Consular Information Sheet on Swaziland at

http://travel.state.gov/travel/swaziland.html
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:03 PM

I don't know where you got your information from, I don't understand why there would be a difference that depends on your entry route.

If Swaziland has the same regs as South Africa, then you don't need a visa. But you would need entry/exit stamps, that's a different thing. Many people think that for entry into S.A. citizens of some countries can get a visa on entry. But technically, it's not a visa but an entry permit. (Usually 90 days.)

And as a BTW (and referring to S.A.) that can in some cases be emphasised in a different way. Being exempt from needing a visa (or having one) does not guarantee entry. This can be denied if there is not proof of the ability to support oneself during the visit and evidence of a return ticket.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM

Is it not true that the only way into and out of Swaziland is via South Africa. That is, there is no international airport?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:25 AM

I have a USA passport and drove between South Africa and Swazi across the borders four or five times during a three week stay two years ago...there was no requirement for a visa then. It is mostly a pain because you have to stand in line on one side and then cross the border and stand in line on the other...
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:58 AM

NFZ, although there will be no direct flights, there are flights between Matsapha International Airport and Johannesburg International. So although I've never done that route, I presume that means that with a convenient transfer, one wouldn't have to exit and re-enter through S.A. Immigration and Passport Control.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for good information. I also heard, via e-mail, from Mark of Taga Tours whose tour I will be taking. He reads Fodors Travel Talk too. Anyway, he confirmed that border stamps are all that are necessary -- not visas as I thought. That sure makes it a lot easier! Hope this info will be of use to others. This is a great fourm!